• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Lost in a sad dream

Hello,

Does the bold text mean he was lost in a sad dream and paid to his work only such an amount of attention it needed?

Long after he ought to have been asleep, he was still brooding over that statue, asking himself futile questions about it. If it was part of a day-dream, how had he contrived to plant it so neatly in the very section of the park the bus was passing? Why should the statue be there and everything else, so far as he could remember, look normal? How had he been able to invent a thing like that, so majestic, so strange? He found it difficult to believe he had invented it. Hadn't he felt almost at once that it belonged to some unknown race?
    For the next two weeks he went about his work, for all the attention it demanded, lost in a sad dream. It was harder now to recapture his glimpse of the great statue, but somehow the atmosphere of its presence remained with him. He felt it was there somewhere, calmly gazing at the Western sky, while he
    himself and all his concerns were smaller, fussier and more ridiculous than ever. Again and again he asked himself, with increasing despair, what sort of life this was that he should fling his days into it as if it were an incinerator and his time were rubbish to be burnt.

J.B.Priestley, The Statues, 1953.

Thanks a lot.
    Not a Teacher. A guy who is fond of old horror and weird literature and who is interested in English language.

2. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: Lost in a sad dream

Ok, I seem to have understood it at last. For all probably stands for in spite of in the text. The author uses it again later in the story. ("But this time he was not thinking about it, for the drinks he had had, much stronger than the glasses of bitter he usually had early in the evening, had somehow brought him closer to the statues and all that he thought and felt about them, and had made the party, for all its colour and noise, seem almost like something in a day-dream.")
    Am I right?
    Not a Teacher. A guy who is fond of old horror and weird literature and who is interested in English language.

VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Lost in a sad dream

Usually I only see the reponses to your posts and not the posts themselves. Now for my advice.

Sometimes when you are reading such a story the meaning of something doesn't come to you right away. But if you keep reading it will. Or at least the story makes some kind of sense to you anyway. And you can find the story enjoyable.

I think you are the right track. Keep going!
    Not a professional teacher