Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. keannu's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,983
    #1

    The money goes away in a heartbeat.

    If you have to pay so many bills and living fees at your bank account, the deposited salary from your company on your salary day can go away as soon as it is remitted or deposited into your account. The Koreans don't get paid their salary by pay checks. Does this make sense?

    As soon as my salary is deposited into my account ,the money goes away in a heartbeat.
    Last edited by keannu; 07-Dec-2019 at 10:20.

  2. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 18,303
    #2

    Re: The money goes away in a heartbeat.

    Perhaps:

    After paying bills and living expenses, the money deposited into your bank account disappears as soon as it arrives.

    Yes. I like that one.
    Not a professional teacher

  3. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 18,303
    #3

    Lightbulb Re: The money goes away in a heartbeat.

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    The Koreans don't get paid their salary by pay checks.
    Ron: Well, you can delete "paid" or "their salary" and say the same thing using fewer words.
    Keannu: Why did you strike out "The"?
    Ron: You're speaking in general terms there, aren't you?
    Keannu: Yes.
    Ron: And you're Korean, aren't you?
    Keannu: Yes.
    Ron: When you say "The Koreans" you seem to be saying you're not one.
    Keannu: Really?
    Ron: Yes. Would I lie to you?
    Not a professional teacher

  4. keannu's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,983
    #4

    Re: The money goes away in a heartbeat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Ron: Well, you can delete "paid" or "their salary" and say the same thing using fewer words.
    Keannu: Why did you strike out "The"?
    Ron: You're speaking in general terms there, aren't you?
    Keannu: Yes.
    Ron: And you're Korean, aren't you?
    Keannu: Yes.
    Ron: When you say "The Koreans" you seem to be saying you're not one.
    Keannu: Really?
    Ron: Yes. Would I lie to you?
    I learned in a grammar book that 'the+ people name' is a general term and never knew it can exclude me. So do you mean native speakers distinguish the two?

  5. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 18,303
    #5

    Re: The money goes away in a heartbeat.

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    I learned in a grammar book that 'the+ people name' is a general term and never knew it could exclude me. So do you mean native speakers distinguish between the two?
    I guess what you use depends on context.

    Maybe you could start a thread about that.
    Not a professional teacher

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •