Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

When Bob for the first time ever went skiing his main concern was not to make fool of himself. He would rather return with a broken leg than having people laughing at his clumsiness. The moment he put on the skis, his legs started to wobble. Bob had drunk a couple of pints earlier, hoping they would alleviate his stage fright, but despite that, his stomach was churning. He propelled himself with his ski poles and slid downhill, but a couple of seconds later, he lost control, was unable to stay on the piste, and slid at speed towards the woods before driving into a large pile of snow. He pulled himself and wished he was dead, because he heard people laughing and jeering. He would be the talk of the town. In all pubs, hotels and shops, his stupidity would be described over and over, and guffaws of laughter would ring from everywhere.

"You all right, mate?" Bob took off his mask and saw a kind face of a middle-aged man. "Yes," he replied. "I just made a fool of myself?" The man chuckled. "Your first time on skis?" Bob nodded.
"Don't be put off. I've seen worse things. You can't learn skiing without falling. Come with me. I show you some tricks and tips and then you'll glide like Ingemar Stenmark. We're all here to have fun, so relax and enjoy." He reached out and Bob took his hand. The two man walked up the slope chatting and laughing as if they had know each other for years.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

When Bob went skiing for the first time ever his main concern was not to make a fool of himself.

And:

He would rather return with a broken leg than for people to make fun of him.

And:

The moment he put on the skis his legs wobbled.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bob had drunk a couple of pints earlier, hoping they would calm his nerves, but despite that, his stomach was churning.

I have had to overcome stage fright. I wouldn't use that term for skiing.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,

I've read in the newspaper the other day that nine out of ten people in the UK drink alcohol before going skiing, and therefore is a high number of accents on the pistes. People are drunk and believe they can ski like professional skiers, and in the end, they end up in hospitals.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel,

I read in the newspaper the other day that nine out of ten people in the UK drink alcohol before going skiing, and there is a high number of accidents on the pistes. People are drunk and believe they can ski like professional skiers, and in the end, they end up in hospitals.

Stupidity is contagious. Anybody who thinks alcohol will make him a better skier should stay off the slopes. Such an individual is a danger to himself and others.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He propelled himself with his ski poles and slid downhill, but a couple of seconds later, he lost control, was unable to stay on the piste, and slid at speed towards the woods before driving into a large pile of snow.

You got it!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

He pulled himself up ....

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"You all right, mate?" Bob took off his ski mask and saw the kind face of a middle-aged man. "Yes," he replied. "I just made a fool of myself." The man chuckled. "Your first time on skis?" Bob nodded.
"Don't be put off. I've seen worse things. You can't learn skiing without falling. Come with me. I show you some tricks and tips and then you'll glide like Ingemar Stenmark. We're all here to have fun, so relax and enjoy." He reached out and Bob took his hand. The two men walked up the slope chatting and laughing as if they had known each other for years.

Apparently, Bob thought he could teach himself skiing. Not smart!

Status
Not open for further replies.