Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
https://www.idiomsandslang.com/give-someone-the-bums-rush-2/

(Give Someone) The Bum’s Rush
Definition: ejection from a place of business, being thrown out
Example: My friend and I got in a fight at the bar. The bouncer gave us the bum’s rush, and that finally calmed us down.

=====================

Do you know the origin of "bum's rush"? I tried to find the origin, but failed.
Is it because "bum" refers to a guy hanging around? So is it a metaphor for a situation when you are kicked out, you become like a bum?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I believe the expression arose in America during the great depression. In this context in AmE bum has nothing to do with a person's backside. It is synonymous with hobo and tramp. In other words a penniless wanderer. By definiion, a bum has no money and therefore cannot buy anything but only beg for food.

That is the origin, I think. But the current usage is broader, hobos being rather scarce nowadays. The bum's rush is said be given to anyone who becomes so obnoxious that a business decides to physically eject them.

Last edited:

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
This is one of those rarer idioms. I don't believe I've ever heard it used, and can count on one hand the number of times I've seen it in print. That includes the OP, above.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I agree with Skrej as far as seeing it in print goes. However, I would say that I've heard it used plenty of times in spoken English in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.