No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Here's wishing all the best for the New Year.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here's to a fabulous 2020 for everyone!

:drinking::eek:nfire: :cheers:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Happy New Year, everyone.

:cheers:

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Happy New Year Everyone. Just remember, "Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like bananas".

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
And so, the last -teen year in my life has ended.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Goodbye teens (tens?), hello twenties.

Language question: How do we refer to the passing decade? Is it the teens or the tens or something else? When prefaced with twenty, the twenty-teens sounds wrong, but without twenty, the tens sounds wrong too!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The "tens" seems to be the decade of every century that needs to be preceded by the first part of the year name.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
And so, the last -teen year in my life has ended.

Don't worry- it gets far worse than that. My wife and I dropped in a museum about trains at a station while waiting for a train a few days ago, and they had a ticket machine there as a museum piece that I remember from when I first came to Japan. When you are a museum piece in a foreign country, you are really getting old. :up:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Language question: How do we refer to the passing decade? Is it the teens or the tens or something else? When prefaced with twenty, the twenty-teens sounds wrong, but without twenty, the tens sounds wrong too!
I think the wrongness of twenty-teens lies in -ty and -teen being so close together. It sounds like an unmathematical number.

To me, tens sounds like a broad answer to "How many?", much like hundreds, thousands, millions ("Millions were killed").

Is the year 2020 still in the 201st decade? Since there was no year 0, the first decade is from 1 to 10, the second decade from 11 to 20, and the 202nd decade from 2011 to 2020.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Since there was no year 0, the first decade is from 1 to 10, the second decade from 11 to 20, and the 201st decade from 2011 to 2020.

Good point.

You've highlighted a distinction between historical and mathematical ways of counting periods of time. Historically speaking, the year 2020 belongs in the decade 2020-2029 (i.e., the 20s) whereas mathematically speaking, it is the final year in the second decade of the millennium, which runs 2011-2020.

Mind you, we don't usually need to think of years as numbers on a numberline. They're normally just used to mark points on a timeline.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
So, it's the first year of the twenty-twenties, and the last year of the 202nd decade (the second decade of the 21st century, the first century of the 2nd millenium).

Anyways, happy New Year, everyone!

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Goodbye teens (tens?), hello twenties.

Over here, we always called the 191x years the "teens". I'm pretty confident we'll do the same this time around.

Status
Not open for further replies.