Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Keannu is not a member of a minority group in Korea. Keannu, are you just asking about the phrase?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Keannu is not a member of a minority group in Korea.

You don't know that. Keannu could be disabled, gay/transgender, of a minority religion or any other potential minority group.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Keannu is not a member of a minority group in Korea. Keannu, are you just asking about the phrase?

I'm sorry I should have added the source link in the first place, it's now added.
Don't get me wrong, I'm an ordinary person and the family leader of an ordinary family. Not disabled and totally straight.:)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Of the hundreds of times I've ever encountered the word glass ceiling, I think it has always been used to talk about limitations for women. Certainly so when preceded by the, which testifies to the idea of one specific glass ceiling, i.e. for women.

I'm not saying it cannot be used for other groups too, though.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Keannu, I would not say you are an ordinary person. You have traveled to several countries. And you have your own drum set.
:up:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The factors that lead to corporate advancement (or not) can be extremely subtle and therefore quite invisible. Sometimes it is a matter simply of who you know, and even who your parents know or knew. That explains in part why people do things like joining expensive clubs, and perhaps why some people are considered "unclubbable".

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Of the hundreds of times I've ever encountered the word glass ceiling, I think it has always been used to talk about limitations for women. Certainly so when preceded by the, which testifies to the idea of one specific glass ceiling, i.e. for women.

I'm not saying it cannot be used for other groups too, though.

I'm with jutfrank on this point.

The original use of the phrase was in respect to women. My sister, an early and staunch feminist, managed to break through the glass ceiling and become editor-in-chief of a major newspaper. I think she would strongly prefer that glass ceiling be used only about women.

Skrej

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'll third this notion. While I agree I guess there's no reason it couldn't be used to refer to minorities, I think it's used exclusively to refer to women.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
From Wikipedia:

The United States Federal Glass Ceiling Commission defines the glass ceiling as "the unseen, yet unbreachable barrier that keeps minorities and women from rising to the upper rungs of the corporate ladder, regardless of their qualifications or achievements".

From Investopedia:

• The term “glass ceiling” was popularized in a 1986 Wall Street Journal article about the corporate hierarchy.
  • The glass ceiling is a metaphor for an artificial barrier preventing women from being promoted to top jobs in management.
  • In recent years the term has been broadened to include discrimination against minorites as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.