Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
United States
Hi,

I was reading an article on product design and came across few problems. I had always thought that marketing is done once a product is finished and ready to be lauched to end consumer but in this article the process basically begins with marketing. Is this some different kind of marketing? Thank you!

"Product development is a three-stage process in which marketing establishes product requirements, a design team develops a working prototype and production engineers then determine how the product will be manufactured. A concept design is used to evaluate product ideas for initial market testing. If a review by potential customers or salespeople suggests the product has market potential, a design specification that addresses such product characteristics as appearance and function is created and market-tested. If the market test is successful, embodiment design is initiated to identify design options. The design options lead to implications for product development. A preferred product design is then selected and tested. A successful market test leads to a detailed product design and a design for manufacture, which leads to the creation of a production prototype. The prototype is then formally approved."
Source: https://smallbusiness.chron.com/relationship-between-product-design-business-strategy-24073.html

PS: I wanted to delete this thread but cannot. Sorry!

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Marketing departments often push for the development of specific products.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes. Marketing departments also survey the market to determine what sort of products will be in demand in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.