Results 1 to 10 of 35

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. keannu's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 6,136
    #1

    no ə alphabet in English

    Actually, English doesn't have an alphabet character that represents schwa sound /ə/, so a,e,i,o,u replace it.
    This is one of the difficulties that non-native speakers encounter when learning English.
    When I started to learn English, I though the alphabet was created by the English, but later came to know it was created by the Romans.
    The English alphabet is actually Roman characters. I have two questions.

    1. Didn't the British have any characters of their own in ancient times?
    2. If they found it very inconvenient that pronunciations and spellings don't correspond to each other, hasn't there been any movement to create British characters to denote English pronunciations correctly and easily?

  2. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 12,060
    #2

    Re: no ə alphabet in English

    1) I don't believe there is any evidence that the people living in Britain at or prior to the time of the Roman Invasion had their own writing system. If they did, it wouldn't have used an alphabet.

    2) There have been some movements towards spelling reforms, yes. Or are you talking about inventing a whole new alphabet?

  3. keannu's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 6,136
    #3

    Re: no ə alphabet in English

    Quote Originally Posted by jutfrank View Post
    1) I don't believe there is any evidence that the people living in Britain at or prior to the time of the Roman Invasion had their own writing system. If they did, it wouldn't have used an alphabet.

    2) There have been some movements towards spelling reforms, yes. Or are you talking about inventing a whole new alphabet?
    For 2, I mean both. I have studied many languages such as English, Chinese, Japanese and Italian, but regretfully most of them have pronunciation and spelling matching problems.

    Words of some languages are hard to read due to unclear distinction between syllables and words of some language is really hard to read due to meaning-based characters.

    I'm not showing off our Hangul, the Korean characters, but compared to other character systems, it's fairly easy to study and recognize even though it was created so late in 14th century.
    Anyway, my gist is that it's impossible to use Hangul for other language speakers, but recognizing syllables and pronunciations in the languages I mentioned is difficult to make learners sometimes frustrated. - I mean, consistent rules of matching pronunciations and characters are needed for any characters.

  4. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 19,905
    #4

    Re: no ə alphabet in English

    Try:

    It sometimes causes learners problems

    I don't know what can be done about spelling/pronunciation difficulties. Languages evolve over time, and a word might change in the way it's pronounced but retain its spelling.

    It might help to be aware of what what words cause you problems and memorize the pronunciation and spelling of those words.
    Not a professional teacher

  5. keannu's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 6,136
    #5

    Re: no ə alphabet in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Try:

    It sometimes causes learners problems

    I don't know what can be done about spelling/pronunciation difficulties. Languages evolve over time, and a word might change in the way it's pronounced but retain its spelling.

    It might help to be aware of what what words cause you problems and memorize the pronunciation and spelling of those words.
    I'm not justifying it but I do wonder if you know that the Italians pronounce "Internet" as "internet [|ɪnternet] according to their pronunciation convenience & the pronunciation symbol.

    Americans or the British may not have had such a courage to change their character system they have definitely found inconvenient before. If they had done, non-native speakers wouldn't find it so hard to lean English words which don't correspond with their spellings as of now.

    I wonder if English speakers have ever wondered why "just' should be spelled as "just" and pronounced as "[dʒʌst]", not as "[ʊst]"
    You have to memorize two things for one word. But in Korean, there is only only word "그저", which makes pronunciation and and spelling identical.

    I do think there must be a reform in the English characters not only for all the people in the world but also
    for the native speakers as the international language. - I'm not showing off or advertising our Korean characters, but it's really practical and the easiest to learn. Many English learners speaking Korean or other languages find it hard to memorize and pronounce English words due to the discrepancy of spellings and pronunciations.

    **If someone makes a reform despite the long tradition, he or she will be remembered as a revolutionist in history.


    Last edited by keannu; 11-Jan-2020 at 20:36.

  6. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 12,060
    #6

    Re: no ə alphabet in English

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post

    **If someone makes a reform despite the long tradition, he or she will be remembered as a revolutionist in history.
    Then go for it, keannu! History is calling you.

  7. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 70,137
    #7

    Re: no ə alphabet in English

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    FI'm not showing off our Hangul, the Korean characters, but compared to other character systems, it's fairly easy to study and recognize even though it was created so late in 14th century.
    Anyway, my gist is that it's impossible to use Hangul for other language speakers, but recognizing syllables and pronunciations in the languages I mentioned is difficult to make learners sometimes frustrated. - I mean, consistent rules of matching pronunciations and characters are needed for any characters.
    I learnt to read Lao, and I don't see how Hangul are clearly better. Some European languages are phonetic It is a question of what you know.

  8. keannu's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 6,136
    #8

    Re: no ə alphabet in English

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    I learnt to read Lao, and I don't see how Hangul are clearly better. Some European languages are phonetic It is a question of what you know.
    If you try learning Hangul, you will get to know how scientific it is.

  9. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 70,137
    #9

    Re: no ə alphabet in English

    Tell me first how it is better than the Lao system- you are, after all, making the claim. I make no claim- I just want to see a scientific proof that Hangul is superior. A claim you make. Back it up.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •