Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Korean 12 grade mock test : 2014-9-23

Traditional consumption was not particularly thrifty. The concept of thrift emerged out of a more affluent money culture. In traditional societies where resources continued to be scarce, consumption was more seasonally and communally orientated. In years of bountiful crops people ate heartily, and in lean years they starved. People were not particularly motivated to produce more goods for stockpiling, as there was little incentive to do so where there was little security from raids. When times were good, celebrations of gluttony were held in the winter season when stocks could not be refilled. These rituals were more important than the potential hardships such celebrations might later bring, as they served to bind people together and distribute resources. Holiday rituals were typically structured around cultural practices such as song, dance, theater, and feasting, and took a great deal of time away from work.

Does the underlined mean "consuming goods" or "consuming foods"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Given the later use of the words "ate", "starved", "gluttony" and "feasting", which do you think is more likely?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Given the later use of the words "ate", "starved", "gluttony" and "feasting", which do you think is more likely?

I think it's "consuming foods", but the translation went for the former.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What translation are you referring to?
In the material I saw, "consumption" was translated as "소비", which means "consumers' purchase of goods".
I'm I shouldn't have mentioned this, all I have to know is whether Traditional consumption means "consuming goods" or "consuming food".

Traditional consumption => 전통적 소비

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, but how did you manage to translate the text, keannu? Did you use Google Translate or something silmilar?

Remember that software cannot read. It does not know how to interpret meaning, so it cannot translate properly.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes, but how did you manage to translate the text, keannu? Did you use Google Translate or something silmilar?

Remember that software cannot read. It does not know how to interpret meaning, so it cannot translate properly.

I said I saw the translation in the material book. It isn't my translation.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In that article traditional consumption seems to only refer to food. ("In years of bountiful crops people ate heartily, and in lean years they starved.")

Status
Not open for further replies.