Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum.

If you're asking about irregular verbs, click on Reference at the top of the page, then Irregular Verbs.

In future threads, please write a complete sentence to ask your question.

You can click on Thank in the bottom left-hand corner of this post to thank me.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You won't find a complete list of irregular verbs, because one doesn't exist. I tried compiling one once for my students. After the umpteenth addition and the 6th page, I quit because I realized that:

a) A complete list is theoretically impossible, because you can always create new irregular verbs by adding suffixes upon suffixes to existing irregular verbs.
b) Such an exhaustive list was pointless, because it contains so many verbs one would never use (e.g. 'soothsay') or are antiquated. I really doubt any of us will ever need to talk about how we soothsaid something.

Find a source such as the one above, and go with it. You don't even need the bigger list of 600 some available on our site. Even that shorter list of 400 will have some you're unlikely to ever use.

I ended up condensing my list down to about 350. While I still give that list to students as reference material, I only flagged about 100 of them that I felt like students should bother to memorize and would test them on. Even then, I probably included a few unnecessary ones just to reach a nice round number. The others are used infrequently enough that it's fine for them to look them up if they ever actually do have a need to use them.

Status
Not open for further replies.