[General] For what is the heart but a spring; and the nerves, but so many strings and the joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi There;
I am reading a book about artifical intelligence, and there is a passage that I cannot understand.

In his 1651 book Leviathan, Thomas Hobbes suggested the idea of an “artificial animal,” arguing “For what is the heart but a spring; and the nerves, but so many strings; and the joints, but so many wheels.”

heart: the organ in your chest that sends the blood around your body.
spring: a piece of curved or bent metal that can be pressed into a smaller space but will return to its usual shape if released.
joint: a place in your body where two bones are connected.
string:(a piece of) strong, thin rope made by twisting very thin threads together, used for fastening and tying things.

What is the meaning of "For What" in this context? What is the meaning the sentence?

Thanks in advance.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The sentence is likening the human body to a machine. The heart is a spring, the nerves are strings, and the joints are wheels.

The word For is used as a conjunction here, not a preposition. You can use the phrase For what is ...? as a literary way to define or describe something in your own way.

I'm thinking now of a line from one of my favourite songs—My Way:

For what is a man?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The source of the passage is "Artifical Intelligence A Modern Approach" written by Stuart Russel and Peter Norvig.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What else is the heart but a spring?

Status
Not open for further replies.