Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hi There;
I am reading a book, and there is a passage as such:

The empiricism movement, starting with Francis Bacon’s (1561– 1626) Novum Organum, 2 is characterized by a dictum of John Locke (1632–1704): “Nothing is in the understanding, which was not first in the senses.”

Does this sentence "Nothing is in the understanding, which was not first in the senses. " have the same meaning with "In order to understand a thing, first you have to sense it." ?

Thanks in advance.

J

J&K Tutoring

Hmmm... My most immediate response was 'Maybe' which is not much of an answer at all. Sense as a verb has too many meanings to be clear what you mean when you use it. When you find a word in your reading that you're not sure you understand correctly, it's often helpful to research the word elsewhere- starting with your dictionary. My dictionary didn't give a very satisfactory or thorough explanation, so I tried Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empiricism

With that better understanding, you might amend your sentence as: In order to understand a thing thoroughly, first you have to experience it.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Kind of, yes.

To put it simply, Locke thought that the only way to gain any kind of knowledge about the world is through one's physical senses.

tahasozgen

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The source of the passage is "Artifical Intelligence A Modern Approach" written by Stuart Russel and Peter Norvig.

Status
Not open for further replies.