1. kitty_wash90@yahoo.com.my

Thumbs up pp

can you help me how to make a letter about ' i have just returned from atrip to the beach (pantai melawi). i are unhappy with the conditions there and decided to write a letter to the local newspaper (berita sinar minggu). ' write out your letter based on all the points given below:
    -dirty public toilets
    -beash littered with rubbish
    -food stalls-few and unhygienic
    -no lifeguards
    -no proper picnic sports...

Re: pp

Quote Originally Posted by kitty_wash90@yahoo.com.my View Post
    can you help me how to make a letter about ' i have just returned from atrip to the beach (pantai melawi). i are unhappy with the conditions there and decided to write a letter to the local newspaper (berita sinar minggu). ' write out your letter based on all the points given below:
    -dirty public toilets
    -beash littered with rubbish
    -food stalls-few and unhygienic
    -no lifeguards
    -no proper picnic sports...
    Well, I could write one for you, but I'm not sure what you'd learn from that - you need to try yourself. Here are some general pointers:

1) Start by introducing the topic - try something like:

"Dear Sirs,

I have recently returned from a visit to the beach in your local area, and I must say how disappointed I was with the general conditions I found there."

Indirect speech of this sort ("I must say how disappointed I was...") sounds more polite and formal than the direct equivalent "I was very disappointed..."

2) Be careful with your tenses - you are reporting a past event ('your visit'), so use the simple past tense consistently. You wrote "I are unhappy..."; this is ungrammatical - it must either be "I am unhappy..." (simple present tense), or "I was unhappy..." (simple past tense). As I said, simple past is the correct tense here.

3) The rest of the letter is just a matter of describing the points you listed. However, to make it sound natural, you need to use conjunctive phrases and appropriate adjectives and adverbs, rather than simply listing the items one after the other. For example:

"Not only was the entire beach littered with rubbish, but there weren't even any lifeguards to be seen there."

In other words, attempt to link two or more related complaints together into a single sentence; or at least group the complaints into separate themes: cleanliness, safety, value-for-money, etc.

4) Conclude your letter with a summary sentence - perhaps suggesting that the newspaper should put pressure on the local council to improve facilities.

5) Sign- off with:

"Yours sincerely,

<Your Name>"