Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Are these the only words used for wastebasket?
Do you say "garbage/trash bin" as well in America?
Which is the most commonly used term in the USA and the US respectively?

(Am) wastebasket, (Am) garbage[trash] can, (Brit) dust bin, (Brit) litter[rubbish, waste] bin

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The appropriate word to use depends on the exact kind of receptacle you mean. If you post some pictures, we'll be able to tell you the best word to use for each variety of English.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't think "trash bin" is colloquial anywhere. I associate "trash" with AmE and "bin" with BrE.

Here in the UK, a waste paper basket should be called that only if it's actually a basket! Otherwise, it's just called a rubbish bin. We also have rubbish bins in our kitchens (sometimes called a kitchen bin) and outside our houses (also just a rubbish bin). Some streets have huge bins (dumpsters in AmE) into which everyone deposits their rubbish. These are usually called "communal waste/rubbish bins".

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It will vary by region, but size is also a factor in the naming. For me, 'bins' are larger sized receptacles, such as those 40-50 gallon sized ones you see for outdoor use, but that's just likely my own tendency.

'Cans', 'baskets', 'pails', and 'buckets' are smaller, although 'can' is sort of a generic term for any size as well.

The terms 'trash', 'waste', and 'garbage' are paired with the receptacle term, but again vary by region and personal preference.

One person's trash can is another person's wastebasket is another person's garbage pail.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I never use bin for a covered, vaguely cylindrical container for trash or garbage (never "rubbish"), including the big, rolling, 50-gallon trash can I drag to the end of the lane on Thursday evenings. Low, rectangular, open containers we use for recycling and for storage are bins to my southwest Ohio ears.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When I was in the Civil Service, throwing some kind of paper (a report, a memo etc) in the bin was referred to as "filed locally".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have heard filed under B with the same meaning- b for bin.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't personally use it much, but the version I'm familiar with is File 13.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
That's new to me.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Wikipedia (for what that's worth) suggests file 13 is primarily AmE.

That's kind of an amusing tidbit about the music video, though. Sure enough, there are guys with 13 on their hats starting about 2:18. :lol:

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
It will vary by region, but size is also a factor in the naming. For me, 'bins' are larger sized receptacles, such as those 40-50 gallon sized ones you see for outdoor use, but that's just likely my own tendency.

'Cans', 'baskets', 'pails', and 'buckets' are smaller, although 'can' is sort of a generic term for any size as well.

The terms 'trash', 'waste', and 'garbage' are paired with the receptacle term, but again vary by region and personal preference.

One person's trash can is another person's wastebasket is another person's garbage pail.

wastebasket.jpggarbage can.jpgdust bin.jpg
basket -> can -> bin

Even though the terms can vary by region, I think generally 'basket" is the smallest and "bin" is middle to big sizes, "can" seems to be for any size according to the pictures found on the internet. If my understanding is wrong, please let me know.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't think "trash bin" is colloquial anywhere. I associate "trash" with AmE and "bin" with BrE.

Here in the UK, a waste paper basket should be called that only if it's actually a basket! Otherwise, it's just called a rubbish bin. We also have rubbish bins in our kitchens (sometimes called a kitchen bin) and outside our houses (also just a rubbish bin). Some streets have huge bins (dumpsters in AmE) into which everyone deposits their rubbish. These are usually called "communal waste/rubbish bins".

Do they not say "wastebasket" in the UK? According to the dictionary, only "bins" seems to be used in the UK.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do they not say "wastebasket" in the UK?

I would say no. It's "waste paper basket". If you remove "paper", it just sounds wrong!

Status
Not open for further replies.