Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello everyone,

I intend to write about the benefits of organic farming. Is it correct to say it is morally correct? Is this correct?

Not only is organic farming ecologically-friendly, but it is also the right way to cultivate products from a health perspective. Moreover, it is also morally correct as it does not destroy the earth.

What other word can I use instead of correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello everyone,

I intend to write about the benefits of organic farming. Is it correct to say it is morally correct? Is this correct?

Not only is organic farming ecologically-friendly, but it is also the right way to cultivate products from a health perspective. Moreover, it is also morally correct as it does not destroy the earth.

What other word can I use instead of "correct"?

You could say it's the moral way to farm. (That apparently means all the other ways are immoral.)

Ron: Do you believe humans are capable of destroying the planet?
Don: No, but it's capable of destroying us.
Ron: What do you mean?
Don: Things like earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, hurricanes--
Ron: Tornadoes.
Don: Floods.
Ron: Malaria, typhoid, sleeping sickness.
Don: Mother nature regularly tries to kill us.
Ron: And often succeeds.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
morally correct is not the right word. This has nothing to do with morality. You're thinking of ethics. Instead of morally correct, say ethical.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
morally correct is not the right word. This has nothing to do with morality. You're thinking of ethics. Instead of morally correct, say ethical.

Is this okay?

Not only is organic farming ecologically-friendly, but it is also the right way to cultivate products from a health perspective. Moreover, it is ethical as it does not destroy the earth.

Could you please explain the difference between morally correct and ethical?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's better now, yes.

Could you please explain the difference between morally correct and ethical?

I didn't say morally correct—you did. I said it was not right. First, we don't say morally correct or morally incorrect, we say moral or immoral (depending on the thought), and second, the word you were looking for was ethical.

If you're interested in the differences between the notions of morality and ethics, I'm sure there are lots of resources out there that can help you form your own ideas. Once you make a distinction between these two concepts, you will begin to see clearly the differences in use between the two words.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Alright then. Can we confirm this?

Not only is organic farming ecologically-friendly, but it is also the right way to cultivate products from a health perspective. Moreover, it is ethical as it does not destroy the earth.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Remove the hyphen and it'll be grammatically correct.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Statements about morality and ethics can lead rapidly to very deep waters.

I don't want to get involved in a squabble here, but alpacinoutd I suggest you read the Wikipedia article on the Green Revolution. If all farming was organic crop yields would fall precipitously and millions of people would starve to death.

That's all I'm going to say about this.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

That assumes the other ways of farming destroy the earth. Do they?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Although I promised to say no more, it's worth noting that what we have now in America is a hybrid system. Most food is produced using mechanized equipment, fertlizers and pesticides. But some food is also produced organically and sold (at higher prices) to those consumers who prefer it.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Your argument makes perfect sense. I think I am inclined to write it in another way now.

Not only is organic farming ecologically-friendly, but it is also the right way to cultivate products from a health perspective. On the other hand, if all farming was organic crop yields would fall precipitously and millions of people would starve to death.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Note that, in BrE at least, the shorter term "eco-friendly" is normally used.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your argument makes perfect sense. I think I am inclined to write it in another way now.

Not only is organic farming ecologically-friendly, but it is also the right way to cultivate products from a health perspective. On the other hand, if all farming was organic crop yields would fall precipitously and millions of people would starve to death.
Not bad, but you've reintroduced a spurious hyphen. You need to hyphenate compound adjectives when they precede the noun they modify. Don't do it when they follow it.

Last edited:
J

J&K Tutoring

I suggest also a comma after the second organic: … if all farming was organic, crop yields would fall...

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm a comma minimalist, but I agree with that.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Eco-friendly" ia a very popular expression (and concept!) In AmE too.

Status
Not open for further replies.