Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Korean 12 grade mock test -2020-9-21

For a long time, tourism was seen as a huge monster invading the areas of indigenous peoples, introducing them to the evils of the modern world. However, research has shown that this is not the correct way to perceive it. In most places, tourists are welcome and indigenous people see tourism as a path to modernity and economic development. But such development is always a two-edged sword. Tourism can mean progress, but most often also means the loss of traditions and cultural uniqueness. And, of course, there are examples of ‘cultural pollution’, ‘vulgarization’ and ‘phony-folk-cultures’. The background for such characteristics is often more or less romantic and the normative ideas of a former or prevailing authenticity. Ideally (to some) there should exist ancient cultures for modern consumers to gaze at, or even step into for a while, while travelling or on holiday. This is a cage model that is difficult to defend in a global world where we all, indigenous or not, are part of the same social fabric.

1 I don't understand this sentence, especially "romantic and the normative ideas"
the background for such characteristics is often more or less romantic and the normative ideas of a former or prevailing authenticity.

2. What does "cage model" mean?

3. Does this mean that everyone belongs to the global world?
where we all, indigenous or not, are part of the same social fabric.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. I guess normative ideas have to do with what is normal.

2. I think cage model means on display as if in a cage.

3. It's somebody's opinion that we are all members of the same (global) community.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
1. I guess normative ideas have to do with what is normal.

2. I think cage model means on display as if in a cage.

3. It's somebody's opinion that we are all members of the same (global) community.

What does "such characteristics" mean? Does it refer to ‘cultural pollution’, ‘vulgarization’ and ‘phony-folk-cultures’?
Why is also "romantic"?

the background for such characteristics is often more or less romantic and the normative ideas of a former or prevailing authenticity.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Although the words fall in that order, it doesn't really say "romantic and the normative ideas". It says the background for such characteristics may be more or less romantic; moreover, the normative ideas are also part of that background.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In all my eight decades, this is the first time I've encountered 'normative' or 'cage model'.

Like Tarheel, I'd fail this test, and feel very sorry for Korean 12th graders (what are they—18 years old?)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
In all my eight decades, this is the first time I've encountered 'normative' or 'cage model'.

Like Tarheel, I'd fail this test, and feel very sorry for Korean 12th graders (what are they—18 years old?)

They are 18 years old, and I've heard that even native speakers find way too hard many questions of mock tests and Korean college entrance exam.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Although the words fall in that order, it doesn't really say "romantic and the normative ideas". It says the background for such characteristics may be more or less romantic; moreover, the normative ideas are also part of that background.

I'm sorry I still don't get what you mean.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The background for such characteristics is often more or less romantic and the normative ideas of a former or prevailing authenticity.

1) This sentence is poorly constructed and poorly phrased. Look at it like this:

The background for such characteristics is:

a) often more or less less romantic
b) the normative ideas of a former or prevailing authenticity

2) For the sense of cage model, look at the preceding sentence. Think about the way that tourists look at caged animals in zoos.

3) More or less, yes. Part of the same global culture.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase "more or less romantic" makes me wonder. "Wonder what?" you might ask. Wonder why anybody would write that. (That applies to a lot of the other stuff as well.)

It's not everyday language. It's difficult reading. It seems like specialized gobbledygook. (Somebody in Korea wants to give those kids a hard time.)

I can imagine a Korean teenager reading that and thinking, "If this is what English is like, forget it!
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.