1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

What are the differences?

Hello,

please can you tell me differences between barrister, lawyer and soliciter. Thanks a lot

Mates

Re: What are the differences?

Quote Originally Posted by mates View Post
    Hello,
    please can you tell me differences between barrister, lawyer and soliciter. Thanks a lot
    Mates
    In British English, a 'lawyer' is a practitioner of the law, and includes 'barristers' and 'solicitors'. The two principal functions of legal representatives: as advocate and adviser are split between 'barristers' and 'solicitors' respectively. Thus, a member of the public will engage a solicitor to advise them on the law; if necessary, the solicitor will engage a barrister to represent, or advocate, his client in a court of law. The client cannot directly engage the barrister.

I believe this may be different for the Americans.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    In British English, a 'lawyer' is a practitioner of the law, and includes 'barristers' and 'solicitors'. The two principal functions of legal representatives: as advocate and adviser are split between 'barristers' and 'solicitors' respectively. Thus, a member of the public will engage a solicitor to advise them on the law; if necessary, the solicitor will engage a barrister to represent, or advocate, his client in a court of law. The client cannot directly engage the barrister.

It is. We really don't use the terms "barrister" or "solicitor" (except to mean someone who solicits). We use "lawyer" (anyone with a graduate degree in law) and "attorney" (an appointed advocate, usually, but not always, a lawyer).

what's about "legal brain"?
    is it a lawyer?

4. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Quote Originally Posted by Coffa View Post
    Thank you very much