Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I understand but I can't be sure exactly when it comes to language.
Now that you understand this, I think you should move on.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Then is he laying the hambergers or laying the hamburgers out? What is the difference between them? I would like to identify the meaning in the link, too.

The particle out gives the sense of arrangement. The verb lay out is similar to 'arrange'.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
The particle out gives the sense of arrangement. The verb lay out is similar to 'arrange'.

Is "to lay something out" the characteristic verb for this context? Or are there others?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's certainly not the first expression I'd think of for the context but then I'm not a short order cook in an American grill/diner. In BrE, it would suffice to say "He's putting the burgers on the hotplate". It really doesn't matter whether he's chucking them on there randomly or making a nice neat pattern with them.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is "to lay something out" the characteristic verb for this context? Or are there others?

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking whether lay out is the best verb to use for putting burgers on a grill? That's not the right question.

If you want to understand this sense of lay out, look at the video emsr2d2 posted in post #19. Imagine that those cards on the table are burgers on a grill.

hhtt21

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you asking whether lay out is the best verb to use for putting burgers on a grill? That's not the right question.

If you want to understand this sense of lay out, look at the video emsr2d2 posted in post #19. Imagine that those cards on the table are burgers on a grill.

Yes, I am asking about the best verbs to use in this context, and would you also please explain how the right question would be?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, I am asking about the best verbs to use in this context, and would you also please explain how the right question would be?

You don't need to ask any more questions.

If you want to understand this sense of lay out, look at the video emsr2d2 posted in post #19. Imagine that those cards on the table are burgers on a grill. The verb lay out describes what the person is doing with the cards/burgers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Simply, there is no "best verb" for describing someone putting burgers on a grill. Pretty much any verb that means "put" will probably work. If they're doing it in a particular way, there might be a perfect verb. If not, use "put" with an adverb.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, I am asking about the best verbs to use in this context, and would you also please explain what the right question would be?

Well, you can use "how" this way:

How do you make that?

Or:

How do you do that?

Or:

How does that work?

Or:

How many do you want

Or;

How much do you want?

:)

Status