Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello everybody!

Scope of inspection:
1. Review of maker's inspection and test reports.
2. Witness hydraulic test randomly and no leakage was found.
3. Visual inspection of the valves.

In my opinion, someone witnessed a hydraulic test randomly.
Someone randomly inspected the hydraulic test or was randomly present at the hydraulic test.

Do you agree?

Someone took part randomly in the hydraulic test.

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In engineering, I think it is witness random test, not witness test randomly. A random test is done on a random sample on the assumption that it is representative of the batch of production in terms of quality.

By maker, do you mean the manufacturer?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would say that someone came at a random time and date and randomly chose a hydraulic machine (?) to inspect.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
From the times when the hydraulics were to be tested, the inspector chose one at random. The inspector then observed that test and saw no leaks. The inspector also visually checked the valves, very probably but not necessarily at the time of the hydraulic test.

The above is based purely on the language, and not on my knowledge of engineering which is negligible.

SoothingDave?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I, too, have no specific knowledge of the subject. I assumed that the tests were carried out by an independent, third-party inspector who would not announce their arrival or exactly which machine they were going to check. The complete randomness of the test date, time and equipment chosen would be the only way to ensure that the company couldn't foresee the inspection and would have to make sure that all their machines were working correctly at all times.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
More context would be needed. What is the hydraulic test? It's not clear what the random element is.

J

J&K Tutoring

In a hydraulic test, a valve is piped into a test circuit and an appropriate fluid is pumped up to a specified pressure. The valve passes the test if the pressure drops less than some specified amount over some specified period of time.

The random element is in the fact that the inspector chooses the sample valve(s) to be tested. I doubt the inspector will just drop in unexpectedly, unless it is known that tests are conducted every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.