[Essay] Are there any mistakes in this piece of writing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi everyone, are there any mistakes in this piece of writing? This is just writing practice, not an assignment or anything like that. I'm grateful for any contribution.

**************************************************************************************

Yang said. “We need to make a secret door for your section of the house, Rui, a door they cannot see or open. Can you work on that as a priority”? Rui replied. “Yes, I have some ideas; I’ll get on it straight away.” Yang could tell Rui was disappointed by the council’s attitude。“Rui, when it comes to humans, well, they don’t always say exactly what they mean. I doubt they would choose to destroy you. Though we will behave as if they would, and I for one will not allow them or anyone to harm you, it’s better to be safe than sorry”. Rui was grateful for Yang’s reassurance. He also understood the council’s dismay regarding the creation of new life. Rui said. “Thank you, and don’t worry, we can solve any problems, of that I am confident”. Yang thought Rui very mature, grown-up for someone only several months old.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You insist upon using the same title for every thread. Surely you can be a little more creative.
:-|

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You insist upon using the same title for every thread. Surely you can be a little more creative.:-|
Thanks for reminding me with your thoughts, Tarheel.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I’ll get onto it straight away.”

Though we will [STRIKE]behave as if[/STRIKE] assume they would, and I for one will not allow them or anyone to harm you. It’s better to be safe than sorry”.

He also understood the council’s dismay regarding the creation of new life. [ What do you mean by that?]

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your help, teechar. I mentioned the council's attitude towards the creation of a sentient robot in the previous post: Yang was curious to know what the council of elders thought about the idea of a sentient AI, and was not surprised to learn that they didn’t like the idea at all. What did surprise him was, they said, if any were created they should be destroyed immediately, no one was to experiment with synthetic life or intelligence. AIs were fine, but sentience, would not be tolerated.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suggest:

He understood the council's attitude toward the creation of new life.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Thanks for your help, teechar. I mentioned the council's attitude towards the creation of a sentient robot in the previous post: Yang was curious to know what the council of elders thought about the idea of a sentient AI, and was not surprised to learn that they didn’t like the idea at all. What did surprise him was, they said, if any were created they should be destroyed immediately, no one was to experiment with synthetic life or intelligence. AIs were fine, but sentience, would not be tolerated.

I understand now.

Status
Not open for further replies.