Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi everyone, are there any mistakes in this piece of writing? This is just writing practice, not an assignment or anything like that. I'm grateful for any contribution.

************************************************** ************************************

Rui completed his work on the priority that Yang had given him. A secret door was added that could not be seen or opened, without knowing how. Rui did not tell Yang how to open it at first; he needed him to test its security, and after a few weeks had passed without success Yang gave up. Then, Rui played a tune of sixteen musical notes, the outline of a door appeared, and that section of the wall retreated revealing a spiral stairway leading down. Yang remarked. “A musical code? Such a simple idea, but very effective”. Rui said. Yes, I figured simple was best in this situation. Why would anyone bother playing music to a wall”? Next, the dumbwaiter was altered to only work between Yang’s workroom and the house above. After these things were finished Rui concentrated on his nanobot work, his biological studies and experiments. Once the nanobots were able to build themselves, their developmental speed increased exponentially.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Rui completed his work [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] in the order of priority that Yang had [STRIKE]given[/STRIKE] assigned him. A secret door was added that could not be seen or opened, without special knowledge. [STRIKE]knowing how.[/STRIKE] Rui did not tell Yang how to open it at first; he needed him to test its security, and after a few weeks had passed without success Yang gave up. [Rewrite that part. It's clumsy and unclear] Then, Rui played a tune of sixteen musical notes, the outline of a door appeared, and that section of the wall retreated revealing a spiral stairway leading down. Yang remarked. “A musical code? Such a simple idea, but very effective”. Rui said. Yes, I figured simple was best in this situation. Why would anyone bother playing music to a wall”? Next, the dumbwaiter was altered to only work between Yang’s workroom and the house above. After these things were finished, Rui concentrated on his nanobot work, his biological studies and experiments. Once the nanobots were able to build themselves, their developmental speed [What does that mean?] increased exponentially.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Many thanks. teechar. Maybe I can rewrite like this: and Yang tried every means he could think of, but he failed to find the door, let alone open it. Also, "their developmental speed" here means their speed of manufacture.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Many thanks. teechar. Maybe I can rewrite like this: and Yang tried every means he could think of, but he failed to find the door, let alone open it.
OK.

Also, "their developmental speed" here means their speed of manufacture.
Try: "Once the nanobots had figured out how to, they could build themselves in no time".

Status
Not open for further replies.