Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: If Im the one

  1. meliss's Avatar
    Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 331
    #1

    If Im the one

    Hi, I am not sure does the boy affirm that he really "figures out how to tap into that extra 20%" or it's conditional?
    "Albert Sandy says human beings only use 80% of our brains, and if we can tap into the OTHER 20%, we can do amazing things. If I’m the one who figures out how to tap into that extra 20%, though, I’m keeping that knowledge to myself." (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Jeff Kinney)
    Last edited by meliss; 23-Jan-2020 at 20:03.

  2. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 10,172
    #2

    Re: If Im the one

    No, he's just imagining that he's the first person to figure out how to do it.

  3. meliss's Avatar
    Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

    • Join Date: Aug 2006
    • Posts: 331
    #3

    Re: If Im the one

    So, it's really conditional sentence, he imagine: if I figure out..., I'll keep that... I don't understand the Present Continuous in the main clause.

  4. jutfrank's Avatar
    VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Mar 2014
    • Posts: 10,172
    #4

    Re: If Im the one

    Yes, it is a conditional sentence.

    We often use the present continuous to say that we have a plan for the future. The wimpy kid plans to keep the knowledge to himself.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •