Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,

I would like if that refers to her attitude and what intimacy which is not the obvious kind of thing at all could mean. Does it mean the two lived together but there was no love affair, no boyfriend, no girfriend, no real love between them?

Something about the woman stuck uncomfortably in my mind, something less tangible than her appearance or even the things she had said. I could not put my finger on it, but in some way it was connected with her attitude toward Julian. What was there about that which was peculiar? Well, the way she had said "we" in speaking about the two of them. That suggested intimacy, of course, but not the obvious kind of thing at all. There was none of that spurious tenderness that she would have employed if she'd had what used to be called "designs" on him. No, it was something less analyzable than that. There was a tie between them, at least in her mind, but it was not, at any remove whatever, a sexual one. She spoke almost as if she and Julian were partners in some sort of enterprise. Having thought that, I dismissed it because it seemed to me impossible that I could be right. Julian was a great scientist in his way, narrow and limited though he might be outside the field of his own work. This woman was unthinkable in the role of his assistant or collaborator. I let the thought slip away from me.

Edge of Running Water, William Sloane, 1939.

Thank you very much.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I would like if that refers to her attitude
Yes.

and what intimacy which is not the obvious kind of thing at all could mean. Does it mean the two lived together but there was no love affair, no boyfriend, no girfriend, no real love between them?
Yes.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, "that" refers to her attitude.

The rest of the passage does a pretty good job explaining what he means. Not sexual. There is no hint at all of them living together.
She spoke like they were tied together in some way. Like they were partners.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would like to know if that refers to her attitude.

Status
Not open for further replies.