Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes?

"Admit it! You're marrying Clive for his money," Anita said.
"It's not true," Belinda replied. "We have known each other since school. I liked him since I saw him for the first time."
"You went to school with many boys. Why didn't you choose a plumber or a welder? I know the answer: they are not well-off."
"What is wrong with wanting financial security?" Belinda asked. "By the way, Clive and I share the same interests."
"You mean, you both love money more than anything else. No doubt, you'll make a nice couple," Anita said and snorted.
"Are you jealous," Belinda asked.
"I'm not jealous at all," Anita said. I only know how your marriage is going to end. I've warned you. Don't come in a couple of years crying and cursing your bad fate. When you start feeling empty and lonely, not even a million dollars is going to help you."

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
"Admit it! You're marrying Clive for his money," Anita said.
"It's/that's not true," Belinda replied. "We have known each other since school. I liked him the moment I saw him".[STRIKE]since I saw him for the first time."[/STRIKE]
"You went to school with many boys. Why didn't you choose a plumber or a welder? I know the answer: they are not as well-off."
"What is wrong with wanting financial security?" Belinda asked. "By the way, Clive and I share the same interests."
"You mean, you both love money more than anything else. No doubt, you'll make a nice couple," Anita said and snorted.
"Are you jealous?" Belinda asked.
"I'm not jealous at all," Anita said. I only know how your marriage is going to end. [STRIKE]I've[/STRIKE] You've been warned. [STRIKE]you.[/STRIKE] Don't come to me in a couple of years crying and cursing your bad fate. When you start feeling empty and lonely, not even a million dollars is going to help you."

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We have known each other since school.

High school? Grade school? College?

Why didn't you choose a plumber or a welder? I know the answer: they are not as well off.

Gee, do you know how much plumbers charge?
:)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,

Here in Sweden, an ordinary plumber has about 2200 american dollars in net income, which is just about the same what a bus driver earns. Maybe it sounds much, but when you know that about half of it will go to pay the rent, it is not much. There is a constant lack of plumbers, welders, carpenters and other traders because young people are not interested in those careers. I have talked with many plumbers, and almost everyone of them has osteoarthritis before they even reach fifty. But of course, if you run your own company, it is a different thing. You can employ people from other countries, especially from East Europe, who will work for much lower wages, and you will get the chance to make profit.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel,

Here in Sweden, an ordinary plumber makes about 2200 American dollars in net income (Monthly?), which is just about the same what a bus driver earns. Maybe it sounds like a lot, but when you know that about half of it will go to pay the rent, it is not much. There is a constant lack of plumbers, welders, carpenters and other tradespeople because young people are not interested in those careers. I have talked with many plumbers, and almost every one of them has osteoarthritis before they even reach fifty. But of course, if you run your own company, it is a different thing. You can employ people from other countries, especially from East Europe, who will work for much lower wages, and you will have a chance to make a profit.

<Off topic> What does the owner of a business get? (Not a trick question.)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
As you probably know, the Nordic countries have one of the highest taxes in the world, so if you want to earn big money you have to cheat the system. You have to pay tax on everything. Even the TV licence is compulsory, no matter if you have or don't have a TV. A business owner can earn well if he or she are able to exploit tax loopholes or work even at weekends. But I think the main problem is not money but the fact that many people suffer from burnout. When you start feeling depressed and exhausted, no amount of money can help you.

About 2200 American dollars is monthly net income for the majority tradespeople here.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
As you probably know, the Nordic countries have some of the highest taxes in the world, so if you want to earn big money you have to cheat the system. You have to pay tax on everything. Even the TV licence is compulsory, no matter if you have or don't have a TV. A business owner can earn well if he or she are able to exploit tax loopholes or work even at weekends. But I think the main problem is not money but the fact that many people suffer from burnout. When you start feeling depressed and exhausted, no amount of money can help you.

About 2200 American dollars is the monthly net income for the majority of tradespeople here.

The word one doesn't go with taxes.

The owner of a business pays the expenses for the month and gets what's left (which could be nothing).

To use your restaurant example, the owner might work 60, 70, or 80 hours a week. (Only 50% of new restaurants are still open five years after they started.)

Status
Not open for further replies.