Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi everyone, are there any mistakes in this piece of writing? This is just writing practice, not an assignment or anything like that. I'm grateful for any contribution.

************************************************** ************************************

Although the council did return a few times they weren’t a problem, Yang talked to Councillor Chen about his work and showed him some of the things that he was working on plus Rui’s preliminary designs on Nanobots, of course, Yang had to present Rui’s designs as his own. Yang said to Councillor Chen. “These Nanobots…microscopic robots, will, I hope, be able to build or repair very small things, mechanical or electrical, and with luck, biological too. I’ll be concentrating on the electrical and mechanical, first and foremost, at least until the bots are perfected”. The councillor was excited and eager about the potential of the nanobots and for Yang to make quick progress, but Yang told him it was a long term project and not to expect rapid results. Meanwhile, Rui had already designed the first bot builder, a twenty-five square centimetre factory that would construct one-millimetre bots, a good beginning.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Although the council met a few more times, they didn't give Yang any problems.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

The councillor was excited about the potential of the nanobots and wanted Yang to make quick progress.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Although the council did return a few times they weren’t a problem, Yang talked to Councillor Chen about his work and showed him some of the things that he was working on plus Rui’s preliminary designs on Nanobots, of course, Yang had to present Rui’s designs as his own.

You need to break that very long sentence down into shorter sentences.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
You need to hyphenate "long-term". Do you know why?
Also, I prefer "good start" to "good beginning".

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You need to hyphenate "long-term". Do you know why?Also, I prefer "good start" to "good beginning".
Thank you for your help. I googled the difference between “long term” and “long-term”. When talking about the ‘long term’, we are talking about the noun ‘term’ which is described by the adjective ‘long’. Example: We are planning for the long term. However, when the entire phrase is used to describe something else, a hyphen is used to show this. It’s called a compound adjective. Example: This is a long-term plan. Thank you again for reminding me of that, teechar.

Last edited:

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You need to break that very long sentence down into shorter sentences.
Thanks for reminding me with your thoughts, emsr2d2. Maybe I can rewrite like this: Although the council did return a few times, they weren’t a problem; Yang talked to Councillor Chen about his work and showed him some of the things that he was working on, including Rui’s preliminary designs on Nanobots. Of course, Yang had to present Rui’s designs as his own.

rodgers white

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Perhaps:The councillor was excited about the potential of the nanobots and wanted Yang to make quick progress.

Thank you. Maybe I can rewrite like this: The councillor was excited about the potential of the nanobots and eager for Yang to make quick progress, ...

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you. Maybe I can rewrite like this: The councillor was excited about the potential of the nanobots and eager for Yang to make quick progress.

That's good. Put a period ("full stop" in BrE) at end, and you can start s new sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.