Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello again

In the last week of January, “Barnim”, which is sister ship of/to the bulk carrier “Peter”, is scheduled to arrive.

I know that in English one usually says or writes last week or next week without any preposition. There may also be "in the last week" used when using the present perfect tense.

What I want to focus on is "in the last week" with reference to the future.

To my way of thinking, it is justifiable to use such structure in the sentence in question, isn't it?

What do you think?

January of 2020 is being discussed, of course.

How about this:

The last week of January will see a scheduled arrival of “Isolda”, which is sister ship of/to the bulk carrier “Irma”.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
In the last week of January, Barnim, which is the sister ship of [STRIKE]/to[/STRIKE] the bulk carrier Peter, is scheduled to arrive.

The last week of January will see the scheduled arrival of Isolda, which is the sister ship of [STRIKE]/to[/STRIKE] the bulk carrier Irma.

See above and note the removal of the double quotation marks.

J

J&K Tutoring

"In the last week of January" is perfectly fine. The event will occur some time within the boundaries set- some day on the bottom row of that calendar page- so that event will be in the last week of January.

Edit to expand a bit. JACEK1, I suspect you may know this already, but others may not.

The event mentioned in the OP is rather an instantaneous thing. One minute we would say the ship has not arrived and the next we could say it has. These non-specific events occur within a time frame, but the exact time is either unimportant or we just don't know.
I hope to buy a new car in the next year. Some time within the next 365 days.
I will plant my garden in the next few weeks.
I don't know exactly- it depends on the weather.

Some events unfold over a longer period of time, though again, we may not know or care about the exact length.
Bing Bang Boom Festival is the last week of January. Not necessarily 7 days ending on the 31st but certainly more than one day.
I will be in Paris the last month of summer.

Sometimes the preposition is very important:
I will be at Jim's house in the next few hours = I'm not there yet, but I will reach that place within that time frame.
I will be at Jim's house the next few hours. = I am at Jim's house now, and I will stay for a while. The preposition for is understood and therefore can be omitted.

In the same way, the original example sentence could be simplified to: Barnim is scheduled to arrive [in] the last week of January. Here, in is more easily understood, so it could be omitted.

Last edited:

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As for the use of "the sister ship of", I have also seen "the sister ship to".

J

J&K Tutoring

Those two are used more-or-less interchangeably, especially in that context. As to blood relations between people, I suspect they were also interchangeable in the past, though less so today. Nowadays we mostly use sister/brother/father/mother to in referring to how we feel about each other: He's like a brother to me.

English uses brother (and other such words) in the strict sense of a blood relation with the same parents. Qualifiers are used to alter that as needed: He's my step/half/fraternity brother; He's like a brother, etc. Is it the same in Polish?

I suspect other languages are not so precise. I know that I sometimes hear my Chinese students refer to another young person as "their sister" when, if pressed, they admit the other is actually a cousin or merely the daughter of a parent's close friend.

JACEK1

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
There are certain similarities between our languages. English is by far more precise than Polish.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
As for the use of "the sister ship of", I have also seen "the sister ship to".

to and of are not interchangeable.

Barnim is the sister ship of Peter. :tick:
Barnim is the sister ship to Peter. :cross:

Sally is the sister of Peter
. :tick:
Sally is sister to Peter. :tick:

Sally is the sister to Peter. :cross:

Status
Not open for further replies.