Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

I am wondering about the structure of the phrase.

My advice to you is: don't. There are other things to wonder about. Just concentrate on the meaning and use and accept the structure as it is. The meaning is expressed very clearly in the dictionary entry you quoted.

Structurally, you just need to learn it as a semi-fixed expression: as best + subject pronoun + can

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No.

I'll do it as well as I can.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I mean something like this:

I'll do it to the best level I can do it.

Is this one better?

This question is confusing in a way that is very typical of you, kadioguy. As is so often the case, I don't know if you're trying simply to understand the meaning of the phrase or if you're trying to rephrase it in a different way.

1) If you're trying to understand the meaning, then yes, I'm confident you've understood correctly.

2) If you're trying to rephrase the phrase, then don't. There's no need to. Get the meaning first, and then notice the structural form that expresses the meaning. That's how you learn. The dictionary entry you quoted explains the meaning very clearly. Do you really not understand? If not, which part of it don't you understand?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Kadioguy, try:

I'll do my best.

Or:

I'll do the best I can.

Or:

I'll do my level best.

All are used.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'll do my best.

Or:

I'll do the best I can.

Or:

I'll do my level best.

I think it's worth pointing out that those phrases are grammatically different from the phrase we're discussing.

I'll do the best I can.
I'll do it as best I can.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
Thank you all. :)

This question is confusing in a way that is very typical of you, kadioguy. As is so often the case, I don't know if you're trying simply to understand the meaning of the phrase or if you're trying to rephrase it in a different way.

1) If you're trying to understand the meaning, then yes, I'm confident you've understood correctly.

2) If you're trying to rephrase the phrase, then don't. There's no need to. Get the meaning first, and then notice the structural form that expresses the meaning. That's how you learn. The dictionary entry you quoted explains the meaning very clearly. Do you really not understand? If not, which part of it don't you understand?

Hi, jutfrank. I am (1), trying to understand the meaning, because I have realized that it seems to be impossible to analyse/analyze the structure of this phrase in a grammatical way.

(I should have clarified this in my last post to save members' time. :oops:)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am (1), trying to understand the meaning, because I have realized that it seems to be impossible to analyse/analyze the structure of this phrase in a grammatical way.

Good! So do you understand the meaning? (Please say yes because I know you do.)

Status
Not open for further replies.