• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Still on Article again!

I have got a lot of help from this forum. I really appreciate your efforts and support. But I still need more about the use of articles.

I am still not clear which rules support the use of "the" in the following sentences: Is it that the nouns with "the" are attribute-nouns (like "the brightness of stars") or what? I was once told that "the" is for the object of-phrase nouns. I applied this to "Omission of verbs makes sentences unclear" but later learned it is incorrect. But it is correct to say, "The omission of a verb in the first sentence in an essay is bad". Not "the omisison of verbs makes sentences unclear"

Each time I came across words like "the growth of books" the introduction of programmes", "the adoption of ideas" I do not know why "the" was used before these words. Please explain along with the following.

The events are the result of particular historical conditions.
    The events are a result of particular historical conditions.
    An introduction of new methods is good for our society.
    Introduction of new methods are good for our society.
    The introduction of new methods are good for our society.
    His action led to the distortion of societal values.
    HIs action led to a distortion of societal values.
    His action led to distortion of societal values.

Thank you.
    Last edited by kooiu; 29-Sep-2006 at 04:04. Reason: spellings and adding two lines

Re: Still on Article again!

You're well on your way to understanding the technical rules of articles better than I do. But I'll try to touch on each sentence a little and see if it clarifies anything for you.

Each time I came across words like "the growth of books" the introduction of programmes", "the adoption of ideas" I do not know why "the" was used before these words. Please explain along with the following.

The, above, indicates that the phrase 'growth of books' or 'introduction of programmes' is something that is already familiar to the audience/reader. Article A would be used otherwise, to newly introduce the same noun phrase.

A growth of books resulted from the administration's latest initiatives. The growth of books can be witnessed in any local library in your neighborhoods.

An adjective like this would work as well in place of the above as well, but that's another story.
    If it is presumed that the reader already is knows of the growth of books, then you could have begun the paragraph with The.

The or a can be interchanged here with very little difference in meaning.
    The sentence reads a little better with a since it breaks up the monotonous repeated the.

Introduction of new methods are good for our society.
    The introduction of new methods are good for our society.
    Linking verbs Is and are link good to the phrase introduction of new methods and not just methods. The entire phrase is singular, so is must be used for both. Otherwise, the use of each introductory article makes little difference in these three sentences. And again, the would indicate that the reader/audience is somewhat familiar with the subject.

The same applies to these examples as well, and each is acceptable usage.

Here is an excellent page for getting the basics.
    http://www.learnenglish.de/grammar/articlestext.htm

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Yoruba
      • Home Country:
      • Nigeria
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Still on Article again!

Thank you for your help again. I do understand the use of "the" before a noun that has been mentioned before, such as "a growth of" (first mention) then "the growth of" (second mention)

Much as I used "are" mistakenly for "is" in some of the sentences, an error on my part, all the sentences are opening statements. They have not been mentioned before to be familiar to the reader.

So, since they are opening sentences (first "mentions"), what makes them familiar to the reader?

================== Corrected version!

I have got a lot of help from this forum. I really appreciate your efforts and support. But I still need more about the use of articles.

I am still not clear which rules support the use of "the" in the following opening, first-mentioned sentences: Is it that the nouns with "the" are attribute-nouns (like "the brightness of stars") or what? I was once told that "the" is for the object of-phrase nouns. I applied this to "Omission of verbs makes sentences unclear" but later learned it is incorrect. But it is correct to say, "The omission of a verb in the first sentence in an essay is bad". Not "the omisison of verbs makes sentences unclear"

Introduction of new methods is good for our society.
    The introduction of new methods is good for our society.
    Last edited by kooiu; 29-Sep-2006 at 16:30. Reason: spelling and grammatical errors