Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I'm wondering if "requested" can be used in my sentence. Or maybe I should use "ordered" instead?

David had been requested by the company for which he worked to take up the post in a small town in Alaska. His wife was angry and told him he should explain to his bosses that they had a small baby and that the company should choose someone else.
"If I tell them as you suggested, they were going to laugh at me," David said. "My career will be finished and I'll surely be passed over in the future. Let's try first and see how it looks like. Who knows, maybe we are going to love it. After all, there are much worse places on earth."

Maria shook her head. "Now I understand that my mother was right. She warned me before we were married and said, 'Your future husband is married to his company. He'll divorce you rather than disappoint his bosses."
"Now you're unfair, and you are exaggerating," he said. "When we were in Paris and Madrid at the company's expense you didn't say a word."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

David's company asked him to take up a post in a small town in Alaska.

I think the original is a bit wordy. I also think active voice works better.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

If I take your suggestion and say that I can forget about getting any promotions.

And:

Now I know my mother was right. She told me not to marry you. She said ....

And:

You're being unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.