Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

I cannot imagine what this dress looks like. It is a bit confusing. Could you help me?

"a nightdress of fine muslin trimmed in lace with narrow blue ribbons drawn through the neck and sleeves."

Thanks in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The main body of the nightdress is made of fine muslin. There is lace around the bottom of the nightdress, the bottoms of the sleeves, and the neckline. In addition, strands of blue ribbon have been stitched into the fabric around the neckline and the bottoms of the sleeves.

Does that help?

I don't know if you'll be able to see this image but it's a nightdress made of a fine material like muslin, with lace on the sleeves, the neck and the bottom hem.

And this nightdress has pink ribbons drawn around the neckline. I couldn't find one with blue ribbon.

So it's a combination of those two pictures!

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Note that a nightdress and a dress are different garments. Nightdresses, usually called "nightgowns" in American English, are generally light and thin garments worn while sleeping. Dresses are worn in the daytime. Nightdresses don't always provide the level of modesty usually considered suitable for wear in public.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Do you shorten it to nightie in AmE?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)