Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is a mock situation for various questions.

* I'd like to give you a situation and ask you to act it out. You want to take a trip within your own country. Call the travel agent and ask three or four questions to find out the information you need.

Hello, this is Charlie Yun. I want to visit Yokji Island with my daughter.
We are one adult and one child.

May I ask how often the bus starts from Seoul to Tong Yong?
Tell me about your trip schedules for the destination. Does it start everyday or on some specific days?
I want to visit on the weekend. How much is the price?

What about the accommodations? Tell me the name of the accommodations.

Do we have to go to the restaurants fixed by the agency or can we choose restaurants on our all we want to go to?

====================================
In the answer, are the underlined correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is a mock situation for various questions.

* I'd like to give you a situation and ask you to act it out. You want to take a trip within your own country. Call the travel agent and ask three or four questions to find out the information you need.

Hello, this is Charlie Yun. I want to visit Yokji Island with my daughter. We are one adult and one child.

May I ask how often the bus [STRIKE]starts[/STRIKE] goes from Seoul to Tong Yong?

[STRIKE]Tell[/STRIKE] Please give me [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] your [STRIKE]trip[/STRIKE] bus [STRIKE]schedules[/STRIKE] schedule for [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] that destination. Does it [STRIKE]start[/STRIKE] go every day or only on some [STRIKE]specific[/STRIKE] days?
I want to visit on the weekend. How much is the [STRIKE]price[/STRIKE] tour?

What about [STRIKE]the accommodations[/STRIKE] accommodation? [STRIKE]Tell[/STRIKE] Can you give me the name of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] some good/decent/cheap/luxurious [STRIKE]accommodations[/STRIKE] places?

Do we have to go to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] restaurants [STRIKE]fixed[/STRIKE] booked by the agency or can we [STRIKE]choose restaurants on our all we want to go to[/STRIKE] eat wherever we want?

See above.

I would say most of it is overly wordy. The four questions boil down to:

How often does the bus go from Seoul to Tong Yong?
Can you give me a copy of the bus schedule?
Can you recommend any accommodation?
Do we have to eat at set restaurants or choose ourselves?

I don't really understand the fourth question. Are you actually talking about an organised tour holiday earlier in the dialogue? That's not what I understood from the questions about the bus and the timetable. I thought Charlie and his daughter would be simply catching the bus to Tong Yong, staying at a hotel (or similar) and having a nice holiday. If that's the case, there is no agency involved so I don't know where one got involved in the question about restaurants.
If they're going on an organised tour, questions 1, 2 and 3 need to be changed.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
See above.

I would say most of it is overly wordy. The four questions boil down to:

How often does the bus go from Seoul to Tong Yong?
Can you give me a copy of the bus schedule?
Can you recommend any accommodation?
Do we have to eat at set restaurants or choose ourselves?

I don't really understand the fourth question. Are you actually talking about an organised tour holiday earlier in the dialogue? That's not what I understood from the questions about the bus and the timetable. I thought Charlie and his daughter would be simply catching the bus to Tong Yong, staying at a hotel (or similar) and having a nice holiday. If that's the case, there is no agency involved so I don't know where one got involved in the question about restaurants.
If they're going on an organised tour, questions 1, 2 and 3 need to be changed.

The questions are based on the fact that the caller doesn't know anything about the trip schedule. So the following should be the corrected one, I guess.
What about [STRIKE]the accommodations[/STRIKE] accommodation? [STRIKE]Tell[/STRIKE] Can you give me the name of [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] some good/decent/cheap/luxurious [STRIKE]accommodations[/STRIKE] places?

=> What is the name of the accomodations?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The questions are based on the fact that the caller doesn't know anything about the trip schedule. So the following should be the corrected one, I guess.

=> What is the name of the accomodations?

No, that's not right. Again, we don't use accommodations. We use the singular as an uncountable noun. Using "the" suggests there is only one place to stay in the whole town. I'm sure that's not true. If you want to use "the name of", use the sentence I suggested originally.

Can you give me the names of some good accommodation?

It's not very natural though. We would be more specific - use "hotels/guesthouses/bed and breakfasts/hostels".

Status
Not open for further replies.