• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

To surrender

Hello.

Does "I wanted simply to surrender to it" mean "I wanted to give it up/throw in the sponge?"

I tried standing up alone. That was no dice. The agony in my head and the weakness in every part of me made it impossible to take a step. I sat down on the sofa with a groan.
    Anne heard it as she came in. “What are you trying to do?” she demanded. “Sit still.”
    She had brought some pieces of ice and a towel, and she put them immediately against the back of my head. It may not have been the medically orthodox thing to do, but it helped. The waves of fire inside my skull gradually went out. “Thanks,” I said after a time. “That’s the ticket, all right.” She was looking at me with such anxiety and sympathy that I wanted simply to surrender to it. But the thought of Julian kept me from it. I wondered what to do. “So he’s locked himself in up there . . .”

William Sloane, Edge of Running Water, 1939.

Thank you.
    Not a Teacher. A guy who is fond of old horror and weird literature and who is interested in English language.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: To surrender

It means I wanted to surrender to (and go along with the reason for) her anxiety. More context should clarify the meaning further.