Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Italy
Hello, I've just had a very good chat with a few native speakers about some things, and I would like to hear your opinions as I have a few doubts and continuing to discuss wouldn't get me anywhere. Please bear with me as it could be a little confusing.

This conversation started by me rephrasing one sentence I said:

Me: "You don't simply correct me before I get the chance to do it myself". Makes sense now?
Alex: "Does it make sense now"*
Me: "Makes sense now?" is not correct? Why not?
Alex: Umm, informally no, the "does" is unnecessary. But that structure is grammatically incorrect and so it cannot be used here (Referring to the discord chat I was in where you can't use grammatically incorrect structes deliberately).
Me: It's not wrong because it's informal. It's correct grammatically.
Alex: It's not. And either way, informally you would say "make sense" because it's to cut off the "does it" at the beginning.
Me: It makes sense.
Alex: "makes sense now?" makes no sense grammatically because there is no subject listed there.
Brad: "make sense now?" is grammatically correct
Alex: It's not said like that nor is it grammatically correct.
Me: implied subjects is a thing
Alex: I'm referring to "makes sense?" That is unequivocally wrong
Me: I'm not implying "does it". Just "it"
Brad: If you add "It makes sense now?" then it's right
Alex: "It makes sense now?" also makes no sense. A question like that needs an auxiliary verb like "do". In the given context, it makes no sense. You can only validly omit an auxiliary verb like that out of surprise and reactions like that
Brad: "makes sense now?" is acceptable in colloquial speech where we drop/imply things, but it is definitely not grammatically correct.
Alex: I would say make without the "s" but my point is it's not allowed in this channel as neither make nor makes in that question is grammatically correct unless it's "does it make" in the given context
Brad: yeah, "makes sense now?" would be acceptable in a given dialogue as such:

Person 1: "I don't understand this."
Person 2: "Well, did you do your homework?"
Person 1: "No... let me try."
Person 1: "Oh, now I understand it."
Person 2: "Makes sense now, doesn't it?"
I would personally add "doesn't it" after, however

Alex: Yeah that subject omission makes sense there, even though grammatically it's not necessarily correct.

I like to doubt everything (I have to at this point; it's the internet after all) so that's why I'm here to hear your opinions. This conversation was really interesting and made me come on the forum. it's a lot of fun to learn about languages and how everything works. I have tried to make the conversation as clear as possible. So i kindly ask you to correct whoever is wrong and point what is right. Is "makes sense now?" grammatically correct? Is it "makes sense" or "make sense?" I hope I'm not asking too much with that whole conversation in here but it's for context that I wouldn't know how to give you otherwise.

As always, thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Does it make sense now?

There you have a grammatical sentence which, um, makes sense.

Sneymarin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Italy
I know. But I'm asking if it's possible to say "Makes sense now?" and for it to be still grammatically correct.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No.

"Make sense now?" is a shortened form of "Does it make sense now?" You can remove the first two words but you can't change the verb form.
"Makes sense now" is a shortened form of "It makes sense now". You can remove the first word but you can't change the verb form.

Last edited:

Sneymarin

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Moldavian
Home Country
Moldova
Current Location
Italy
I like the "No." at the beginning. So you're saying that it would be perfectly grammatical even on paper (essay/email/text)? Not just colloquially?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I know. But I'm asking if it's possible to say "Makes sense now?" and for it to be still grammatically correct.

Then it depends on exactly what you mean by 'grammatically correct'.

I think everyone in your conversation is right, in a way. What you're arguing about is standards of correctness. There are two issues to discuss:

1) Is it correct to use informal utterances on that particular forum?
2) Is it correct to use declarative word order to ask a question?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I like the "No." at the beginning. So you're saying that it would be perfectly grammatical even on paper (essay/email/text)? Not just colloquially?

When you say "perfectly grammatical", I guess you mean 'appropriate'.

essay: No.
email: It depends. Probably not.
text: Yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.