Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello.

Can anybody help me to understand what "The thing got most of it" means? The "thing" refers to the communicator, an invention that was capable of communicating with the relm of the dead. A mad scientist let it run at full blast which created a strange effect that destroyed the apparatus and the house as well.

They were all standing in a huddled group on the edge and triangle of ground at the end.of the Point, almost at the water’s edge a hundred yards away from the house. The moment I started toward them there was a cry and a figure came flying across the grass toward me. Anne. Her arms were round me in one instant. That made up for the rest of it. We held each other for a while and laughed and babbled incoherencies, and she exclaimed at the plaster in my hair, and we kissed each other. Then I hobbled over to the rest of them with my arm round her. I looked at Mrs Walters first.
“He’s gone,” I said.
She did not flinch. “And the communicator?”
“What’s still there is wire and powder. I think the thing got most of it.”
Ellen Hoskins’ voice in the dusk was cold as steel. “It was all for nothing, then Mrs Walters.”
The big woman turned and faced her. “So you believe that ninny of a girl.”
Ellen’s voice was still light, but its tone was unyielding. “You’re a great actress, my dear. But you should never have asked him that question about the communicator. That gave you away. You must have wanted it very much.”

William Sloane, Edge of Running Water, 1939.

Thank you very much.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Are you sure that the thing refers to the communicator? It doesn't appear to. The communicator seems to be it.

Johnyxxx

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It never occured to me "the thing" could refer to anything else but the communicator. Yes, now it begins to make sense. The communicator was supposedly capable of getting in touch with the other world but, as an unwanted side effect, it also created a dangerous gape in space, a worm hole or a kind of a black hole that sucked obects, small and big ones, in its vicinity. The maker of the invention run it at full blast, it sucked almost everything in the house including him and the communicator and finally it collapsed into itself and vanished into thin air, leaving wreckage behind it. So yes, "the thing" definitely refers to the small black hole.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.