• Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Wire pulling

Hello.

Can anybody explain to me what “a wire pulling“ could mean here? Because the sheriff says it for the narrator´s benefit, it seems it could refer to something which happened earlier in the story but I cannot remember any such a situation in which it would be mentioned. Truth is, at one point the narrator accuses the sheriff deputy of being prejudiced against him, like all of the villagers are, accuses him of taking sides with the village people though the police should be impartial. So I wonder if "a wire pulling" could mean "favouritism" or "bias" in this case.

I opened my mouth to plead with him once more, but before I could say anything, Pete Barnstable came in, His jaw sagging. “That’s right about the shutters, Dan. You can see it from the ground that they’re made outa steel, like a safe. And they’re all shet tight. Reckon we won’t git in that way.”
    The sheriff nodded. He told off a man to drive to town and bring back a blowtorch at once. As an after-thought he ordered Ellen Hoskins to go along. But she shook her head. “I can look after myself, Dan. And you’ll need a record of what happens. I’m needed here.”
    He shrugged his tremendous shoulders. “Have it your own way, Ellen,” he said. Then he looked over the room. “I don’t guess we’ll be needin’ the rest of you,” he observed. “You better clear out. This here’s the law, not a tar and featherin’. Or a wire pullin’,” he added for my benefit.
    They showed no disposition to leave at first, but he simply stood there and waited. After a while they began a sheepish sort of exodus. In five minutes the room was clear except for Seth Marcy and his cousin. Dan Hoskins looked at them. “I’ll call you if I need you,” he said.
    Seth stood his ground. “I aim to stay right here till you get that crazy bugger out’n that room, Dan. It wuz my wife.”

Edge of Running Water, William Sloane, 1939.

Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by Johnyxxx; 12-Feb-2020 at 13:20.
    Not a Teacher. A guy who is fond of old horror and weird literature and who is interested in English language.

2. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Re: Wrie pulling

It sounds like a torture in which the victim's feet are tied to a horse with a wire.
    I am not a teacher.

3. Senior Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Czech
      • Home Country:
      • Czech Republic
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Do you mean something like this?
    http://torturemuseum.net/en/the-spanish-horse/

Thank you very much for helping me.
    Not a Teacher. A guy who is fond of old horror and weird literature and who is interested in English language.

VIP Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

No, I'm pretty sure GoesStation was referring to the practice of tying someone to a horse, for the horse to run away dragging the person along the ground.

Key Member
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Odd though that they used wire and not rope.
    Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms!