English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
China
Hi guys! I have a question for you.

My colleague made a video for our kids about the questions " What's this?" and "What are these?"

In his reply he says: It's a hat. It's a door.
But for me, I think it's better grammar to answer: "This is a hat, this is a door." If the question would be: "What is it?" That would be correct to answer: "It's a hat, it's a door".

What do you think?

Thanks in advance!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Please correct the information in your profile.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

My colleague made a video for our kids about the questions "What's this?" and "What are these?"

In his replies, he says (no colon here) "It's a hat" and "It's a door".
But [STRIKE]for me,[/STRIKE] I think it's better [STRIKE]grammar[/STRIKE] to answer
with (no colon here) "This is a hat" and "This is a door." If the question [STRIKE]would be:[/STRIKE] were (no colon here) "What is it?", [STRIKE]That[/STRIKE] it would be correct to answer with (no colon here) "It's a hat" and "It's a door".

What do you think?
[STRIKE]
Thanks in advance!
[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the Thank button.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please note my multiple corrections above. Are you certain that you are a native English speaker and an English teacher? Once you have done as Rover_KE asked in the previous post, we will be able to help you with your question.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

My colleague made a video for our kids about the questions " What's this?" and "What are these?"

In his reply he says: It's a hat. It's a door

If you're answering the second question, which is the one that works better with more than one thing, something like This is a hat and that is a door work better for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.