[Grammar] Are you going to travel this/next Friday?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beachboy

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
First question - Suppose today is Saturday. Is it natural to ask somebody Are you going to travel this Friday? It sounds strange to me, I'd rather ask Are you going to travel next Friday?
Second question - Suppose today is Wednesday, February 12. If somebody asks me beachboy, are you going to travel next Friday?, do they refer to Friday this week (Feb 14) or Friday next week (Feb 21)?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We would naturally understand two different things.

Confusingly for learners, this Friday means the next one and next Friday means the one next week, i.e., the one after the next one.

They would mean February 21.

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First question - Suppose today is Saturday. Is it natural to ask somebody Are you going to travel this Friday? It sounds strange to me, I'd rather ask Are you going to travel next Friday? Agree.
Second question - Suppose today is Wednesday, February 12. If somebody asks me beachboy, are you going to travel next Friday?, do they refer to Friday this week (Feb 14) or Friday next week (Feb 21)? Depends. I would usually ask for clarification.
My shot.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I agree with Yankee. I would ask the speaker to be more specific so I could be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.