Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I had used only "practice" (in BrE) for both the noun and the verb until joining this forum. I genuinely believed that "practise" was used only in AmE and even then I didn't know if it was used as the verb or the noun. The wonderful Piscean put me straight! My method for remembering it now is that I picture the sign outside my doctor's surgery, which says "[name] Medical Practice". Obviously that's a noun so once I've pictured that, I know which one is which and apply the correct ending to whatever I'm writing. I'll be honest - it's still not automatic. Clearly I need more practice. Or I need to practise more. ;-)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am surprised that B has any friends asking what he, and it's probably a he, is doing tonight. ;-)

It's semi-autobiographical.

PS In BrE, the verb is practise.

Somebody had to say it. You have no idea how much that awful American spelling has bugged me every time I've looked at this thread. I'm just itching to change the c to an s! (Oddly, even more than Glizdka's unfortunately dysorthographic pacticing in post #1.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I had used only "practice" (in BrE) for both the noun and the verb until joining this forum.

You think you know someone ...

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Advise is pronounced with a voiced /z/ sound which the combination "ce" can't represent, so that seems pretty straightforward. If you refer back to advise/advice when spelling practise/practice British style, just follow the same verb/noun pattern. The pronunciation obviously won't help you there.
That's why I keep mixing them up. "-ise is a verb suffix, just remember that one word is always spelled -ice in AmE" is useful advice, but I need to practice more which one, advice/advise or practice/practise, it is.

Another pair I have a problem with is eternal/ethernal, and etereal/ethereal. I don't know why I want a th in ethernal, but I even find it easier to say it that way. Any advice?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Another pair I have a problem with is eternal/ethernal, and etereal/ethereal. I don't know why I want a th in ethernal, but I even find it easier to say it that way. Any advice?

Do you mean that you actually pronounce "eternal" as if it contains "th"? And that you pronounce "ethereal" as if it doesn't have "th"?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Do you mean that you actually pronounce "eternal" as if it contains "th"? And that you pronounce "ethereal" as if it doesn't have "th"?
Yup. That's precisely what happens from time to time. I'd have to focus all the time to keep it right. I have a similar problem with widely/wildly, especially as in "widely/wildly different".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That's why I keep mixing them up. "-ise is a verb suffix, just remember that one word is always spelled -ice in AmE" is useful advice, but I need to practice more which one, advice/advise or practice/practise, it is.
You shouldn't have a problem provided you know that advise is pronounced differently from advice. They follow the rules — well, suggestions anyway — of English pronunciation. When you're writing "practice" or "practise", think of the matching word from the advice/advise pair and use the matching suffix.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't know why I want a th in ethernal, but I even find it easier to say it that way. Any advice?

You seem simply to have learnt this word visually rather than auditorily. That really just means that you predominantly use your visual memory to access it. This is quite a common strategy for second language learners.

You have therefore to 'shift' it out of your visual memory and into your auditory memory. My 4-step advice is this:

1) Download the 1988 hit song Eternal Flame by US pop-rocksters The Bangles (featuring the lovely Susanna Hoffs on lead vocal and rhythm guitar).

2) Listen to it several times a day over the course of six weeks.

3) Practise singing it four times a day (ideally before meals) in various locations around your home, including but not limited to: in the shower, in the shed, on your way down the stairs, on your way up the stairs, behind the sofa, and next to the fridge. Repeat this step until the song is automatic.

4) Annoy your colleagues by persistently singing it in the workplace, before mentioning how cute you think Susanna Hoffs is, and how she looks even better now at 61 than she ever did in the 80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cZnNZZDP3s

Last edited:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I like your 4-step advice. It [STRIKE]helped[/STRIKE] didn't help me with the word rythm, probably not gonna help with with eternal [STRIKE]too[/STRIKE] either.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You mean "rhythm". ;-)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I like your 4-step advice. It helped me with the word rhythm,

Well, I'd probably have suggested this, but okay.

(My 4-step program doesn't help with spelling, unfortunately.)

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's semi-autobiographical.

An evening of misorthography sounds OK to me. Maybe I should get out more.

I meant it when I said it was only semi-autobiographical. The real story is that I stay in and spend my evenings correcting other people's dysorthography (among other things) on this here wonderful forum.

(Thanks, Tdol, for providing such a great website. :up:)

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Holy excrement, I actually misspelled rhythm... that wasn't intentional...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This thread is shining a light into many dark corners. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.