Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello,

I have a problem. My spelling is deteriorating. I even mess up when I use inflectional suffixes. I'm thinking of taking a list of 1000 most commonly used verbs in English in order of appearance, and practicing with them in that order.

I spend much more time using English in speech than than I spend writing. This forum was meant to be one of my ways of practicing writing, but I don't think it's enough. I've tried writing books.

What do you advise, other than pacticing a lot?

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I assume you have an English spell-checker installed on your computer. If not, install one. Also, try to take note of the mistakes you make and see if a pattern emerges. Additionally, try to find out if spelling rules from your native language are interfering.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's very simple: Identify the words you misspell and learn how to spell them correctly.

I find it hard to believe that your spelling is deteriorating, by the way. I'm sure it isn't, even if it seems it is.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I assume you have an English spell-checker installed on your computer. If not, install one. Also, try to take note of the mistakes you make and see if a pattern emerges. Additionally, try to find out if spelling rules from your native language are interfering.
I use Grammarly. Polish and English spelling rules are so different even in principle that I don't think there's any interference.

It's very simple: Identify the words you misspell and learn how to spell them correctly.
So, a second list, filled with mistakes, possibly with appearance counters so I can gather data and see which I make most often?

I find it hard to believe that your spelling is deteriorating, by the way. I'm sure it isn't, even if it seems it is.
The other possibility is that I'm becoming better at noticing my mistakes, and under the impression there's been more of them lately only because I started registering more of them.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So, a second list, filled with mistakes, possibly with appearance counters so I can gather data and see which I make most often?

Yes, if you can do that, it should work.

The other possibility is that I'm becoming better at noticing my mistakes, and under the impression there's been more of them lately only because I started registering more of them.

Yes, I think that's far more likely.

J

J&K Tutoring

As your English improves, I bet you are using more complicated words that are naturally more difficult to spell.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How old are you? I must confess that there are words I am less certain about as I get older.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
As your English improves, I bet you are using more complicated words that are naturally more difficult to spell.
Not necessarily. I read a lot of scientific papers, and I have no problem with "more complicated words". It's simple, casual words that I have most trouble with, usually those with old, relic spelling rules that don't seem to have any correlation with their pronunciation.

How old are you? I must confess that there are words I am less certain about as I get older.
I'm thirty. I hope it doesn't have anything to do with my age.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I must confess that there are words I am less certain about as I get older.
I acknowlege that and allmost conceed that poore speling is unacceptible, but you definitly won't get the sac. :lol:

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What do you call using intentional spelling/grammar mistakes for the sake of fun? For example, lolcat.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What do you call using intentional spelling/grammar mistakes for the sake of fun?.

For fun? That'll be misorthography.

Yes, I just made that up. It's meant to contrast with dysorthography, where you can't help it. Here's an example of use:

A: What are you up to tonight?
B: Oh, I don't know. I'll probably just stay in and do an hour or two of misorthography.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Misorthography? That's the bestest made-up term I've never seen.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Misorthography? That's the bestest made-up term I've never seen.

Thanks. And quite ironically, you've spelled it correctly!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I once worked with a teacher called Miss Pelling.

She got married and became Mrs Buss.

(True)

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I had a particularly nasty history teacher in high school who delighted in calling one boy in the class "Mister Bates". She had a way of emphasizing the first syllable so there could be no mistaking her intention. His name was, in fact, "Bates", but no other teacher was juvenile enough to draw out the unfortunate association like Miss O'Brien did.

She damaged a lot of kids.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A: What are you up to tonight?
B: Oh, I don't know. I'll probably just stay in and do an hour or two of misorthography.

I am surprised that B has any friends asking what he, and it's probably a he, is doing tonight. ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
PS In BrE, the verb is practise. I can remember that. I have to pause before parallelogram.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
PS In BrE, the verb is practise. I can remember that. I have to pause before parallelogram.
I know! :-D

I purposely used both advise (v.) and practice (v.) in post #1, to practice using them. These two are my spelling nemeses. I frequently misspell advis/ce and practis/ce.

Any tricks up your sleeve?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Advise is pronounced with a voiced /z/ sound which the combination "ce" can't represent, so that seems pretty straightforward. If you refer back to advise/advice when spelling practise/practice British style, just follow the same verb/noun pattern. The pronunciation obviously won't help you there.

Status
Not open for further replies.