Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
Please correct mistakes, if any, in this writing, .

The residents of the Crescent Apartments were stunned to find that Peter, one of the residents, was a fugitive. Only after his arrest, it revealed that he was wanted by the law enforcing agencies for years. Last night, he attempted to break into the flat of a lady named Marlene. The lady lived in her flat, alone. Her daughter, Katherine would look-after her by visiting her thrice a week. Luckily, at the time of burglary Marlene’s flat was empty as Katherine had taken her mother for a dinner and for a long drive to make her cheerful. As the fate would have it, Marlene’s next-door neighbor saw Peter entering through a window of Marlene’s flat to commit burglary. Sensing a possible attempt of burglary, her neighbor immediately called the police who caught him red-handedly.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please correct my mistakes, if any, in this piece of writing.

The residents of the Crescent Apartments were stunned to find that Peter, one of the residents, was a fugitive.

Only after his arrest (no comma here) was it revealed that he [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] had been wanted by [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] law [STRIKE]enforcing agencies[/STRIKE] enforcement for years.

Last night, he attempted to break into the flat of a lady named Marlene.

The lady lived alone. [STRIKE]in her flat, alone.[/STRIKE]

Her daughter, Katherine would [STRIKE]look-after[/STRIKE] look after her by visiting her [STRIKE]thrice[/STRIKE] three times a week.

Luckily, at the time of burglary, Marlene’s flat was empty as Katherine had taken her mother [STRIKE]for a[/STRIKE] out for/out to dinner and for a long drive to [STRIKE]make her cheerful[/STRIKE] cheer her up.

As [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] fate/luck would have it, Marlene’s next-door neighbor saw Peter entering her flat through a window. [STRIKE]of Marlene’s flat to commit
burglary.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Sensing[/STRIKE] Suspecting a possible burglary attempt [STRIKE]of burglary[/STRIKE], her neighbor immediately called the police who caught him red-[STRIKE]handedly[/STRIKE] handed.

See above.

hatimhussain

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
emsr2d2
I can't find "thanks" and "like" buttons on this page.
So I thank and also like you in this thread for the corrections made.

hatimhussain

Banned
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Pakistan
emsr2d2

Could you please explain is there any difference between "thrice" and "three times?

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
emsr2d2, I can't find the "thanks" and "like" buttons on this page (no full stop here) so I want to say thank you and also [STRIKE]liking[/STRIKE] "like" [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] your corrections [STRIKE]in this thread[/STRIKE] by writing this post. [STRIKE]for the corrections made.[/STRIKE]

I'm not sure why you can't find them. Perhaps you should post in the "Support Area" to see if the admins can work out the problem. Make sure you tell them what device, operating system and browser you are using.

emsr2d2, could you please explain [STRIKE]is there any[/STRIKE] the difference between "thrice" and "three times"?

I should have made it clear in my previous post - there is nothing wrong with the word "thrice" but it is very rarely used by native speakers. We use "twice" but after that, we use "number + times".

Status
Not open for further replies.