• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

websites of today and the websites of the past

Topic :Comparison between the websites of today and the websites of the past

* Do you surf the internet often? What were websites like in the past? Have they changed since you first started surfing the internet? How have they changed? Please compare the websites of today to the websites of the past.

I can compare three types of websites.
    First one was just a terminal through which we could access websites.
    Back then, the terminal was not a personal computer but a small monitor with a keyboard.
    Korea Telecom provided it to schools for their staff to use it.
    It worked with a modem connected to telephone lines.
    The homepage of the system was text-based, composed of ASCII codes.
    On the homepage, using numbers, we could access other websites.

In about ten years from the first generation period, the second type of internet came into being.
    WWW(World Wide Web) sites were launched. So we could finally access the internet with a personal computer and only mouse clicks.
    But it still used text-based hyperlinks to access other websites, so it was the primitive version of the internet.

After this type of internet using flash and HTML5, finally the third type of internet used now was created.
    Unlike the second generation using text-based hyperlinks, the third generation of internet uses GUI(Graphic User Interface) with graphic icons to access other websites easily with only mouse clicks.
    As icons are graphical, we can understand their meanings well and access their links very easily with only a mouse click.
    The current user interface is very advanced with efficient internet access.
    It's much more convenient compared to the previous internet type with text-based hyperlinks where we had to type in numbers or letters.
    ==================================

If I have made any mistakes, please correct them.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Re: websites of today and the websites of the past

Is that writing or speaking practice? The question is asking you to compare websites today with websites of the past. It is not asking you to talk about the history of personal computers or the internet.

VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    Is that writing or speaking practice? The question is asking you to compare websites today with websites of the past. It is not asking you to talk about the history of personal computers or the internet.
    It's for speaking practice for OPIC test and similar content is in an example answer of an exercise book.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    It's for speaking practice for the OPIC test, and my response above was similar content is in to an example a sample answer of in an exercise book.
    I still maintain it's off topic. However, I can proofread what you wrote above if you don't want to change your text.

VIP Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

Quote Originally Posted by teechar View Post
    I still maintain it's off topic. However, I can proofread what you wrote above if you don't want to change your text.
    Could you bother to proofread it? I don't have time to change it.

English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Iraq
      • Current Location:
      • Iraq

Could you bother to (please) proofread it? I don't have time to change it.
    I'd like to can compare three types generations of websites.
    The first one was just a terminal through which we could access primitive websites.
    Back then, the terminal was not a personal computer but a small monitor with a keyboard.
    Korea Telecom provided it to schools for their staff to use. it.
    It worked with a modem connected to telephone lines.
    The homepage of the system was text-based, composed of ASCII codes.
    On the homepage, using numbers, we could access other websites.

In After about ten years, from the first generation period, the second type generation of internet content came into being.

WWW (The World Wide Web) sites were launched. So we could finally access the internet with a personal computer and only mouse clicks.
    But it still used required typing the full text -based of hyperlinks to access other websites, so it was the a primitive version of the internet.

After this type of internet using the birth of flash and HTML5, finally the third type of internet sites, used now currently in use, were was created.

Unlike the second generation which used using text-based manually typed hyperlinks, the third generation of internet uses GUI (Graphic User Interface) with graphic icons to access other websites easily with only mouse clicks.

As icons are graphical, we can understand easily work out their meanings well and access their links very easily with only a mouse click.
    The current user interface is very advanced with efficient internet access. [I don't understand what you mean by that]
    It's much more convenient compared to the previous internet types with text-based hyperlinks where we had to type in numbers or letters to go to other sites.