Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But a proper interrogative form would've implied that I didn't have (or hadn't had?) any clue if my variant was correct, which wasn't the case. So, it wasn't a real question, but a suggestion mixed with doubt.

I see.

in Russian we can turn any declarative phrase into a question just by means of intonation.

Yes, it's the same in English.

So, we can't say that declarative and interrogative sentences have different word orders.

Yes, that's possible. Of course, that would be a countable use.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
jutfrank said,
Yes, it's the same in English.

Does it mean that, when speaking, I can say:

1) "You were in Paris yesterday!?" (I'm surprised that it was you.)
2) "You were in Paris yesterday!?" (I'm surprised that you were in Paris.)
3) "You were in Paris yesterday!?" (I'm surprised that you were there yesterday.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, those would all work in the ways you mention.

So much of the meaning we transmit comes from intonation cues. Generally more so, in fact, than syntax, which explains precisely why we can use declarative word order to ask questions.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Then, the real difference between English and Russian in this case is that in Russian writing any declarative question would be considered grammatically correct.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Then, the real difference between English and Russian in this case is that in Russian any declarative question would be considered grammatically correct in writing.

Does it not depend on the genre of the writing, just as it does in English?

I don't see this as having much to do with grammar, personally. I think it's really just a question of using forms appropriate to the discourse.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Does it not depend on the genre of the writing, just as it does in English?

I think this is true, but to a lesser extent than for English. Unfortunately, I'm not very good in literary genres and styles. In everyday speech and writing declarative word order in questions is more common and neutral.

I don't see this as having much to do with grammar, personally.

Maybe I got you wrong, but I thought that sentences like, "You were in Paris yesterday!?" aren't correct in writing.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Maybe I got you wrong, but I thought that sentences like, "You were in Paris yesterday!?" aren't correct in writing.

Such a statement is one that belongs to spoken, not written English. Even if it we're included in a written text, it would still be an example of spoken English.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
One thing is still bothering me. On the one hand, you confirm that questions with declarative word order can be used in written English, but on the other hand, neither you nor teechar understood the intended meaning of "Maybe...?" at first, so I had to give you an additional explanation. Can I use such a construction, or it will be problematic for English speakers?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One thing is still bothering me. On the one hand, you confirm that questions with declarative word order can be used in written English, but on the other hand, neither you nor teechar understood the intended meaning of "Maybe...?" at first, so I had to give you an additional explanation. Can I use such a construction, or [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] will it be problematic for English speakers?
The sentence beginning "Maybe" was clearly a question. A native speaker might have written it the same way. The one I corrected above reads like a mistake typical of foreign learners. I think beginning with the hedge word "maybe" is what makes the first one natural.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
GoesStation said,
I think beginning with the hedge word "maybe" is what makes the first one natural.

Sorry, what does "the first one" refer to?

Status
Not open for further replies.