Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Topic :Comparison between the websites of today and the websites of the past

* Do you surf the internet often? What were websites like in the past? Have they changed since you first started surfing the internet? How have they changed? Please compare the websites of today to the websites of the past.

I can compare three types of websites.
First one was just a terminal through which we could access websites.
Back then, the terminal was not a personal computer but a small monitor with a keyboard.
Korea Telecom provided it to schools for their staff to use it.
It worked with a modem connected to telephone lines.
The homepage of the system was text-based, composed of ASCII codes.
On the homepage, using numbers, we could access other websites.

In about ten years from the first generation period, the second type of internet came into being.
WWW(World Wide Web) sites were launched. So we could finally access the internet with a personal computer and only mouse clicks.
But it still used text-based hyperlinks to access other websites, so it was the primitive version of the internet.

After this type of internet using flash and HTML5, finally the third type of internet used now was created.
Unlike the second generation using text-based hyperlinks, the third generation of internet uses GUI(Graphic User Interface) with graphic icons to access other websites easily with only mouse clicks.
As icons are graphical, we can understand their meanings well and access their links very easily with only a mouse click.
The current user interface is very advanced with efficient internet access.
It's much more convenient compared to the previous internet type with text-based hyperlinks where we had to type in numbers or letters.
==================================

If I have made any mistakes, please correct them.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Is that writing or speaking practice? The question is asking you to compare websites today with websites of the past. It is not asking you to talk about the history of personal computers or the internet.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Is that writing or speaking practice? The question is asking you to compare websites today with websites of the past. It is not asking you to talk about the history of personal computers or the internet.

It's for speaking practice for OPIC test and similar content is in an example answer of an exercise book.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
It's for speaking practice for the OPIC test, and my response above was similar [STRIKE]content is in[/STRIKE] to [STRIKE]an example[/STRIKE] a sample answer [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in an exercise book.

I still maintain it's off topic. However, I can proofread what you wrote above if you don't want to change your text.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I still maintain it's off topic. However, I can proofread what you wrote above if you don't want to change your text.

Could you bother to proofread it? I don't have time to change it.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Could you [STRIKE]bother to[/STRIKE] (please) proofread it? I don't have time to change it.

I'd like to [STRIKE]can[/STRIKE] compare three [STRIKE]types[/STRIKE] generations of websites.
The first one was just a terminal through which we could access primitive websites.
Back then, the terminal was not a personal computer but a small monitor with a keyboard.
Korea Telecom provided it to schools for their staff to use. [STRIKE]it.[/STRIKE]
It worked with a modem connected to telephone lines.
The homepage of the system was text-based, composed of ASCII codes.
On the homepage, using numbers, we could access other websites.

[STRIKE]In[/STRIKE] After about ten years, [STRIKE]from the first generation period,[/STRIKE] the second [STRIKE]type[/STRIKE] generation of internet content came into being.

WWW (The World Wide Web) sites were launched. So we could finally access the internet with a personal computer and only mouse clicks.
But it still [STRIKE]used[/STRIKE] required typing the full text [STRIKE]-based[/STRIKE] of hyperlinks to access other websites, so it was [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] a primitive version of the internet.

After [STRIKE]this type of internet using[/STRIKE] the birth of flash and HTML5, finally the third type of internet sites, [STRIKE]used now[/STRIKE] currently in use, were [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] created.

Unlike the second generation which used [STRIKE]using text-based[/STRIKE] manually typed hyperlinks, the third generation [STRIKE]of internet[/STRIKE] uses GUI (Graphic User Interface) with graphic icons to access other websites easily with only mouse clicks.

As icons are graphical, we can [STRIKE]understand[/STRIKE] easily work out their meanings [STRIKE]well[/STRIKE] and access their links very easily with only a mouse click.
The current user interface is very advanced with efficient internet access. [I don't understand what you mean by that]
It's much more convenient compared to the previous [STRIKE]internet[/STRIKE] types with text-based hyperlinks where we had to type in numbers or letters to go to other sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.