Articles with Nicknames (Usernames, Pen Names etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inhvar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Byelorussian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
When a person decides to choose a nickname (or a pen name, or a stage name, or a username on an internet site) which consists of non-proper words (for example, GreenDragon, or Maths_Teacher, or something like that), should he/she use 'a/an' or 'the' as a part of it? If someone wants to take a username, for example, Tyrannosaurus, what should he/she write: 'a Tyrannosaurus', 'the Tyrannosaurus' or just 'Tyrannosaurus'?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hello Inhvar, and welcome to the forum. :)

What makes you think that an article might be needed?

Inhvar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Byelorussian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Hello Inhvar, and welcome to the forum. :)

What makes you think that an article might be needed?

Hello teechar. I know that many nicknames are used with articles. For example, the Joker. But in the title of the movie 'Joker' the article is not used. So I'm confused. Can you help me?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Okay, using "the" implies, for example, that there's only one such character/person, or that they are the main one.
In general, you don't need to use "the" or any other article, and this applies to "Tyrannosaurus".

Inhvar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Byelorussian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Thank you. And if I invent a new nickname (for example, "Inhvarosaurus"), does it mean that articles are also not needed here?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

Inhvar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Byelorussian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus

Thank you. Is there a general rule which says when articles with nicknames (or pen names) are needed and when they are not?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you. Is there a general rule which says when articles with nicknames (or pen names) are needed and when they are not?

Here's one general rule: Don't use the indefinite articles A/An.

Names typically include either a definite article (The) or no article at all. You can use The only when the head word of the name could also be used as a common noun.

Inhvar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Byelorussian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Here's one general rule: Don't use the indefinite articles A/An.

Names typically include either a definite article (The) or no article at all. You can use The only when the head word of the name could also be used as a common noun.

And if it can be used as a common noun, is there a rule which says when "the" is needed and when it's not?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
And if it can be used as a common noun, is there a rule which says when "the" is needed and when it's not?

It depends what you mean by 'rule'. Let's say no, there isn't.

(I mean, there are rules of article use, yes, but don't worry about that right here.)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thank you. And if I invent a new nickname (for example, "Inhvarosaurus"), does it mean that articles are also not needed here?

Is there a crying need for an article here? Are you trying to tell us that you are the only Inhvarosaurus?

Inhvar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Byelorussian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Is there a crying need for an article here? Are you trying to tell us that you are the only Inhvarosaurus?

Well, this word is my invention, so I am definitely the only Inhvarosaurus. But I don't want to focus on it. Does it mean that the article is not needed here?

Inhvar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Byelorussian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
It depends what you mean by 'rule'. Let's say no, there isn't.

(I mean, there are rules of article use, yes, but don't worry about that right here.)

Do you mean that usernames (nicknames) like "Yellow Dragon", "Math Teacher", "Inhvarosaurus" and so on can be used with "the" or without "the", and the both variants are correct?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Do you mean that usernames (nicknames) like "Yellow Dragon", "Math Teacher", "Inhvarosaurus" and so on can be used with "the" or without "the", and the both variants are correct?

Yes.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's only one Jutfrank, but I have never heard anyone talk of the Jutfrank. In fact, the article might be used to distinguish between Jutfranks if more than one existed- the Jutfrank I know would never agree with that.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's only one Jutfrank

True. :)

but I have never heard anyone talk of the Jutfrank. In fact, the article might be used to distinguish between Jutfranks if more than one existed- the Jutfrank I know would never agree with that.

I wanted to keep this issue usefully simple for Inhvar. The truth is it's far from simple.

Consider also how Donald Trump is sometimes referred to as The Donald.

Inhvar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Byelorussian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
True. :)

I wanted to keep this issue usefully simple for Inhvar. The truth is it's far from simple.

Consider also how Donald Trump is sometimes referred to as The Donald.

I think I understand. If you use "a/an" in your username, you emphasize that you are one of many. If you use "the" in your username, you emphasize that you are the only or already known. If you don't use any article, you just don't emphasize anything (you may be one of many or not, you just don't mention it). Am I right?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most people don't use any article. Those who do use an article use the. In any case, since it's your username you can do whatever you want.

Inhvar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Byelorussian
Home Country
Belarus
Current Location
Belarus
Most people don't use any article. Those who do use an article use the. In any case, since it's your username you can do whatever you want.

I know that I can do whatever I want. But the problem is that articles can change the meaning of a username.

Status
Not open for further replies.