Page 2 of 2 First 1 2
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    Moderator
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 53,192
    #11

    Re: It's better/would be better to tell us ...

    No. "It would be better" is not a version of "It's better". As I explained before, using the present simple is stating a general fact - "It is always better to do XXX". Using "It would be better ..." is more like a suggestion for the future. "It would be better to tell us the source in post 1 in your next thread and in all future threads".
    Remember - if you don't use correct capitalisation, punctuation and spacing, anything you write will be incorrect.

  2. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Mar 2017
    • Posts: 2,380
    #12

    Re: It's better/would be better to tell us ...

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    No. "It would be better" is not a version of "It's better". As I explained before, using the present simple is stating a general fact - "It is always better to do XXX". Using "It would be better ..." is more like a suggestion for the future. "It would be better to tell us the source in post 1 in your next thread and in all future threads".
    Thank you for the reply, emsr2d2.

    I swear this is the last question in the thread:


    b. It would be better to tell us the source ...
    d.
    It will be better to tell us the source ...

    It seems that (d) is used
    much less frequently than (b). I am not sure why. What different effects do (b) and (d) have?
    Last edited by kadioguy; 21-Feb-2020 at 09:16.
    I am not a teacher. If there is anything ungrammatical in my post, please correct it. I am grateful for your help.

  3. Tarheel's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2014
    • Posts: 19,219
    #13

    Re: It's better/would be better to tell us ...

    Example (d) is possible in the following sentence.

    It will be better to tell us the source next time.

    It is, I think, less likely than the others.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 21-Feb-2020 at 17:53. Reason: Fix text
    Not a professional teacher

  4. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Mar 2017
    • Posts: 2,380
    #14

    Re: It's better/would be better to tell us ...

    Quote Originally Posted by kadioguy View Post
    b. It would be better to tell us the source ...
    d.
    It will be better to tell us the source ...

    It seems that (d) is used
    much less frequently than (b). I am not sure why. What different effects do (b) and (d) have?
    I guess this is because post #1 is in the past, so "will" doesn't work there. Am I right?
    I am not a teacher. If there is anything ungrammatical in my post, please correct it. I am grateful for your help.

  5. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 16,518
    #15

    Re: It's better/would be better to tell us ...

    Quote Originally Posted by kadioguy View Post
    I guess this is because post #1 is in the past, so "will" doesn't work there. Am I right?
    No. "Will" doesn't work because it expresses an expectation for which there's no evident justification.
    I am not a teacher.

  6. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan

    • Join Date: Mar 2017
    • Posts: 2,380
    #16

    Re: It's better/would be better to tell us ...

    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    No. "Will" doesn't work because it expresses an expectation for which there's no evident justification.
    I don't understand this part. Telling us the source is always better than not, isn't it?
    I am not a teacher. If there is anything ungrammatical in my post, please correct it. I am grateful for your help.

  7. Moderator
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2015
    • Posts: 16,518
    #17

    Re: It's better/would be better to tell us ...

    Quote Originally Posted by kadioguy View Post
    d. It will be better to tell us the source ...
    Quote Originally Posted by GoesStation View Post
    No. "Will" doesn't work because it expresses an expectation for which there's no evident justification.
    Quote Originally Posted by kadioguy View Post
    I don't understand this part. Telling us the source is always better than not, isn't it?
    Yes. But you have no reason to think that someone is going to do that. When you say "it will be better to tell us the source", it means that you expect an unknown agent to tell us the source. You may be an optimist, but it's not reasonable to hold that expectation in this situation. You should use "would" to express the conditional situation: "it would be better" means that, if someone tells us the source, that will be better.
    I am not a teacher.

Page 2 of 2 First 1 2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •