Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Screenshot_2020-02-18-12-51-32-912_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Is this sentence correct? If you think it is correct then what actually it means "I will call you up first thing in the morning"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Where did you see this image? Can you explain what you think it is supposed to mean? Who is that woman? Is this an ad? Or part of a video lesson?

As far as the sentence is concerned, there's no apparent need for the word up. The sentence expresses a simple intention by the speaker to make a phone call to the listener early the next day.

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Where did you see this image? Can you explain what you think it is supposed to mean? Who is that woman? Is this an ad? Or part of a video lesson?

As far as the sentence is concerned, there's no apparent need for the word up. The sentence expresses a simple intention by the speaker to make a phone call to the listener early the next day.

It's a part of a YouTube video lesson. This woman was giving some example sentences of Future Indefinite tense. I think she meant that the first thing she would do in the morning is to call someone.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you think it is correct, then what does [STRIKE]actually it means[/STRIKE] "I will call you up first thing in the morning" mean?

Some BrE speakers use "call up" to mean the same as "call", but only in the context of telephoning someone.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Some BrE speakers use "call up" to mean the same as "call", but only in the context of telephoning someone.
American English speakers do the same.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I use ring you up, but not call you up.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
[/COLOR]

I'm not so sure. I think there's a subtle difference in use between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.