Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I was the only boy born into a girls village after 20 years. When you're the first boy to be born into a village chalk-a-block full of girls after 20 years, let me tell you that's some burden to bear. All you guys out there probably thinking it must be like winning the lottery. Girls flocking to your feet everywhere. Yeah, it kind of was like that at first but then things just got weird.

I got these information from a YouTube video.Here is the link to that video = https://youtu.be/M7QGXPCo_WA

My questions are-

1. I can't understand the meaning of the phrases in bold.Please explain those phrases to me.
2. Can I write the sentence "Yeah, it kind of was like that at first but then things just got weird" like this " Yeah, it kind of was like that at first but then things just got worse ".

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
burden to bear = difficulty
flocking to your feet = falling at your feet, coming after you because they are attracted

I don't think your version improves the sentence- weird could be changed to strange.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Dukul, please note that your thread title should have been exactly the same as the first sentence of your quoted text.

Why did you change it?

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Dukul, please note that your thread title should have been exactly the same as the first sentence of your quoted text.

Why did you change it?

I didn't change it.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The title is not the same as the first sentence of your thread.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
ems didn't edit the thread title.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The phrase a girls village is not correct. I think the speaker meant an all-girl village but I'm not sure.

How is it that a village can consist of only girls? Does he mean that for a period of twenty years only female children were born? Really?

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
How is it that a village can consist of only girls? Does he mean that for a period of twenty years only female children were born? Really?
There's an iconic Polish movie "Seksmisja" (sexmission) that presents the idea that women in the future form a community that doesn't need, and doesn't want, males. They reproduce via insemination from sperm banks where each sperm is meticulously checkied whether there's the Y chromosome in it so that no male can ever be born.

Maybe that's how...

Not a teacher

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It was edited by emsr2d2

The only thing I did was add some line breaks between the paragraphs to make it easier to read. I didn't change any words in the title or the post.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
There's an iconic Polish movie "Seksmisja" (sexmission) that presents the idea that women in the future form a community that doesn't need, and doesn't want, males. They reproduce via insemination from sperm banks where each sperm is meticulously checkied whether there's the Y chromosome in it so that no male can ever be born.

Maybe that's how...

Not a teacher

Areas affected by war can have similar imbalances.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Areas affected by war can have similar imbalances.

War doesn't affect the chances that a woman will give birth to a girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.