Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
When you're the first boy to be born into a village chalk-a-block full of girls after 20 years, let me tell you that's some burden to bear.

Does this sentence mean like this - When you're the first boy who will born into a village chalk-a-block full of girls after 20 years, let me tell you that's some burden to bear.

If I omit the "to be" in this sentence will it be correct or not? If not, then why? Please explain.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It means "who was" (in that context), not "who will be". The following all mean the same here.

When you're the first boy to be born into ...
When you're the first boy who was born into ...
When you're the first boy born into ...

The person was talking about his own experience, I believe. He was the first boy born into a village full of girls.

The phrase is "chock-a-block", not "chalk-a-block".

Dukul12345

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
It means "who was" (in that context), not "who will be". The following all mean the same here.

When you're the first boy to be born into ...
When you're the first boy who was born into ...
When you're the first boy born into ...

The person was talking about his own experience, I believe. He was the first boy born into a village full of girls.

The phrase is "chock-a-block", not "chalk-a-block".

Thanks. Sometimes I don't understand why people use this " to be " word where they don't need to use it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks. Sometimes I don't understand why people use [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] "to be" [STRIKE]word[/STRIKE] where they don't need to. [STRIKE]use it.[/STRIKE]

Note my changes above. "to be" isn't a (one) word so you can't say "this word" or "to use it".

Status
Not open for further replies.