Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
"An inanimate piece of iron" confuses me. When we animate or reanimate something we, first of all, give life/breathe life into it. Of course, it can live independently, but only after that.

Yes, I understand what you mean. The context of (b) would be ideally suited for an uncountable use of give life with the sense that you mention.

I'm not sure what's confusing you, however. The writer certainly could very well have used life uncountably, but he/she didn't. The choice to use the word countably tells us something about how he/she was thinking.

But children or "children" (products) can start to live their own life only after their parents/creators, first, give life to/create them. However, (d) says, "You give a life to this individual, and then they have a life of their own." That's what confuses me.

Okay. Yes, that makes sense. I do agree that that's confusing. Don't expect people to always phrase their thoughts in a way that makes perfect sense.

But if "then" is of little importance, and the whole sentence means just "they live a life you give them", I get this.

Yes, that's right. We have to think about what people mean from the greater context of what they say. The idea of sentence (d) is a simple comparison of the logo and a child. The designer is the one who provided the logo with a life in the first place, and then the logo went on to lead an independent existence. You seem to have understood this correctly.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you for your help, jutfrank! I have to say the reference/denotation of nouns that can be both countable and uncountable is the most difficult part of English for me. I understand it in general, but I'm always in doubt when it comes to particular sentences/contexts.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I would appreciate it if somebody would reply to this comment.

At first, I wanted to write this way, but I was in doubt and read a couple of threads about that, and decided to use just "replied". If it's incorrect, I'll start a new thread.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Past tense doesn't work there. You are saying you would appreciate something somebody has already done.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If it's incorrect, I'll start a new thread.

If you're satisfied with the answers you have received here, fine. Otherwise, of course, you don't have to.

Alexey86

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.