Lbo

Hi guys,
    what does it mean "A firm making inroads on the continent": I guess "to tap into a new market, here continent, don't you?
    Last edited by me78; 29-Sep-2006 at 16:07.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Hindi
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

Re: Lbo

The firm is trying to sell its product/services into the continent where it has never been.

and the meaning of "flush with":
    This group includes KKR, which is flush with an extra $5 billion after a recent listing in Europe
    and "They are still likely to try"Likely means maybe but why still , I don't understand it, e.g.
    "But given the ardour private-equity groups feel towards Europe, they are still likely to try"
    Last edited by me78; 29-Sep-2006 at 16:25.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    and the meaning of "flush with":
    This group includes KKR, which is flush with an extra $5 billion after a recent listing in Europe
    Beware. There is a phrase 'flush with', which means 'flat/closely aligned with': "Make sure that the sheet is flush with the frame before nailing it down". This meaning of 'flush with' is irrelevant in your context.

'Flush' is a colloquialism for 'rich/well off, often temporarily'.

b

and that means in my context the meaning is maybe "even" or what you say: well off

Hi me78
    I wouldn't consider "flush with" to be a colloquial usage in your sentence. In your sentence "flush with" means that KKR has an extremely abundant supply of money. (It has nothing to do with "even".)

Quote Originally Posted by me78 View Post
    and "They are still likely to try"Likely means maybe but why still , I don't understand it, e.g.
    "But given the ardour private-equity groups feel towards Europe, they are still likely to try"
    Hi Philly,
    can you say me what does this sentense mean?
    thanks

one more question:
    "laden with" means filled with , don't it?, e.g.
    After Japan's economis bubble burst, the country' s overcrowded industries found themselves laden with debt, overemployment and overcapacity
    Last edited by me78; 29-Sep-2006 at 17:49.

Hi me78
    They are still likely to try --> They will probably try all the same / nevertheless.
    Because the private-equity groups are extremely interested in Europe, they will probably try all the same.
    (I don't know what they want to try to do. I assume that information was in the previous sentence.)
    Laden with means burdened with.

thanks Philly, just one more and I'll stop asking question:
    What does it mean "shwashbuckling former president of..., a sprawling internet company, who pleaded not quilty to fraud charges. The tug-of-war between a culture that prizes harmony and global pressures that are not going to go away may continue for some time"
    The words in red, thank you so much